Advice for the Independent match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManHands12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm a general surgery resident interested in plastics. I'd like to hear from people who have gone through the match process recently or people who are going through it now. It seems like with the requirements of finishing general surgery AND extending the residency to 3 years that the match has become less competitive.

What are some of the factors that are most important in today's match?

How important are ABSITE scores?

How important is research? Furthermore, how many publications set you apart from others?

How do you go about getting letters/making connections if you don't get to rotate through plastics?

What types of things should I be doing as a junior resident to make my application good? (other than being the best general surgery resident, etc).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
I'm a general surgery resident interested in plastics. I'd like to hear from people who have gone through the match process recently or people who are going through it now. It seems like with the requirements of finishing general surgery AND extending the residency to 3 years that the match has become less competitive.

I haven't been through the match yet, but just wanted to share my two cents based on discussions I've had with the PD at my home program and my research PI. I'm sure different people will have different answers but I'm waiting on data and bored, so I thought I'd get things started.

It's true, currently the match rate is historically high for the independent track. I would be cautious of getting too comfortable, though. No one can tell you for certain what it will be like when you apply, but you always have to consider you may be in that unfortunate class that enters the match after a large number of programs have pulled out.

My own opinion is that the solid, middle tier programs will begin dropping more rapidly as they have become less than happy with the quality of applicants matching (obviously that's me just regurgitating what a mentor told me, but take it for what it's worth). So, eventually, what we may be left with are a bunch of stellar programs like Harvard, NYU, Hopkins, etc. (which are obviously incredibly difficult to get in to) and other less desirable places that may not have the funding to support a 6 year integrated program/are in the middle of nowhere, etc. BUT there may also be new programs that open to balance out those who have converted to integrated. Tough to tell, but programs are continuing to drop.

At the beginning of the year, Duke and UNC were programs I was considering doing an away rotation when it comes time; neither will be an option for me. UNC actually dropped with no transition period at all. Last year they had an entirely independent program, now they are completely integrated and have back-filled most of their junior spots. Once they got approved by the RRC they knocked it out in a couple months. Who knows if others are going to follow their lead...

I can tell you it's really hard to switch from GS to integrated PRS. I consider myself a pretty strong independent applicant (so far, fingers crossed) and I got shot down at two spots that opened without an interview.

So, as cliche as it sounds, the only thing you have control over is how much effort you put in. Higher ABSITE scores, more publications, letters, connections, etc. are all important. The higher/more the better but they don't seem to be essential anymore. Can you match in to PRS with mediocre ABSITE scores and no research? Ya probably, but who knows if that will be the case in a couple years and, more importantly, if you'll match someplace you're truly happy about.

Your post suggests that you already know what things will get you in to the best place you can go. You just have to go and execute.

I haven't been through the match yet, but just wanted to share my two cents based on discussions I've had with the PD at my home program and my research PI. I'm sure different people will have different answers but I'm waiting on data and bored, so I thought I'd get things started.

It's true, currently the match rate is historically high for the independent track. I would be cautious of getting too comfortable, though. No one can tell you for certain what it will be like when you apply, but you always have to consider you may be in that unfortunate class that enters the match after a large number of programs have pulled out.

My own opinion is that the solid, middle tier programs will begin dropping more rapidly as they have become less than happy with the quality of applicants matching (obviously that's me just regurgitating what a mentor told me, but take it for what it's worth). So, eventually, what we may be left with are a bunch of stellar programs like Harvard, NYU, Hopkins, etc. (which are obviously incredibly difficult to get in to) and other less desirable places that may not have the funding to support a 6 year integrated program/are in the middle of nowhere, etc. BUT there may also be new programs that open to balance out those who have converted to integrated. Tough to tell, but programs are continuing to drop.

At the beginning of the year, Duke and UNC were programs I was considering doing an away rotation when it comes time; neither will be an option for me. UNC actually dropped with no transition period at all. Last year they had an entirely independent program, now they are completely integrated and have back-filled most of their junior spots. Once they got approved by the RRC they knocked it out in a couple months. Who knows if others are going to follow their lead...

I can tell you it's really hard to switch from GS to integrated PRS. I consider myself a pretty strong independent applicant (so far, fingers crossed) and I got shot down at two spots that opened without an interview.

So, as cliche as it sounds, the only thing you have control over is how much effort you put in. Higher ABSITE scores, more publications, letters, connections, etc. are all important. The higher/more the better but they don't seem to be essential anymore. Can you match in to PRS with mediocre ABSITE scores and no research? Ya probably, but who knows if that will be the case in a couple years and, more importantly, if you'll match someplace you're truly happy about.

Your post suggests that you already know what things will get you in to the best place you can go. You just have to go and execute.

sorry to derail this thread a little...but do you plan on doing any GS procedures once you finish your plastics fellowship? do you know of any PRS attendings doing any GS bread and butter procedures?

sorry to derail this thread a little...but do you plan on doing any GS procedures once you finish your plastics fellowship? do you know of any PRS attendings doing any GS bread and butter procedures?

I would be interested, but I don't see it happening. I don't know any PRS guys doing GS outside of hernias. I think it gets more complicated than just having the desire. Being too busy to be good at both, hospital privileges, not being able to perform gs procedures without being in the call pool, pissing off general surgeons... There has to be a reason no one seems to practice both. It would be cool to cherry pick though. Some of GS is pretty cool.