Advice for the upcoming cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

margs999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I applied last cycle (2017) and got on to one waitlist. I really hoped I had a chance of getting in so I didn't really do much besides continue with my current regimen of work, classes, and volunteering. Unfortunately I didn't end up receiving an acceptance (sad face) and spent the next year getting a phlebotomy license and working as a MA in a nephrologist's office. I have shadowed her outside of work at the hospital several times but other than that I haven't really added to my EC's at all. Not applying until May so still have some time to get some stuff in before applying.

- cGPA and sGPA: 3.01 after some post bacc classes ( I have taken 38 upper div units and have a 3.98 since graduating from UCSB with a BS Chemistry)
- 514 MCAT score
- 70 hours tutoring at a homeless domestic abuse shelter (1 hour a week)
- 100 or so hours shadowing MD/DO
- 200 hours volunteering at a pediatric unit
- 700 hours volunteering in a hospital setting
- Work as a server in a restaurant at night (about 30 hr/week for 4 years, still doing this with the MA job)
- Phlebotomy license (40 hours of clinical training with 100+ sticks)
- Will have worked part time (24 hours/week) as a MA for a year by the time I apply (so about 1100 hours total)

The only difference between my last app and this one is the extra hours volunteering and phlebotomy/MA. Any recommendations on what I could focus on in the upcoming months before applying?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did you apply to any DO schools in your last cycle ? If so where ? Any MD schools ? Where is your state of residence ?

Reactions: 1 user
Did you apply to any DO schools in your last cycle ? If so where ? Any MD schools ? Where is your state of residence ?

I would guess CA. Look up @Goro s list of MD schools that reward reinvention. You have a shot with them IMO

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT score is great, but the GPA is probably what held you back. I also agree with looking up MD schools for reinvention. Research a lot of schools and find the ones that are okay with a lower GPA because you don't want to waste your time. Look into DO as well.

Big thing here: when did you apply last cycle and where (DO? MD? Both?)? You are a perfect example of phenomenal reinvention. You kicked butt in your recent classes and nailed the MCAT rest of your application looks solid. A combination of lower GPA, applying too late and/or applying to the wrong schools is really what is holding you back IMO. You should have a solid shot at DO schools and maybe some MDs next cycle IF you apply early and smart. I strongly suggest you get everything out the first day AMCAS and AACOMAS opens in May. I think you should do some strong research and see which schools reward reinvention (most DO schools do) and some MDs. When you apply DO make sure you are very careful that you stay away from the schools with LARGE regional bias unless you are from that state (VCOM, OSUCOM, MSUCOM, RowanSOM). Think about state MD and DO unless you are from CA. Good luck man I think you have a shot here!

Last edited:
Big thing here: when did you apply last cycle and where (DO? MD? Both?)? You are a perfect example of phenomenal reinvention. You kicked butt in your recent classes and nailed the MCAT rest of your application looks solid. A combination of lower GPA, applying too late and/or applying to the wrong schools is really what is holding you back IMO. You should have a solid shot at DO schools and maybe some MDs next cycle IF you apply early and smart. I strongly suggest you get everything out the first day AMCAS and AACOMAS opens in May. I think you should do some strong research and see which schools reward reinvention (most DO schools do) and some MDs. When you apply DO make sure you are very careful that you stay away from the schools with LARGE regional bias unless you are from that state (VCOM, OSUCOM, MSUCOM, RowanSOM). Think about state MD and DO unless you are from CA. Good luck man I think you have a shot here!
OP is from CA. They might have a shot at Davis.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

So I applied last cycle (2017) and got on to one waitlist. I really hoped I had a chance of getting in so I didn't really do much besides continue with my current regimen of work, classes, and volunteering. Unfortunately I didn't end up receiving an acceptance (sad face) and spent the next year getting a phlebotomy license and working as a MA in a nephrologist's office. I have shadowed her outside of work at the hospital several times but other than that I haven't really added to my EC's at all. Not applying until May so still have some time to get some stuff in before applying.

- cGPA and sGPA: 3.01 after some post bacc classes ( I have taken 38 upper div units and have a 3.98 since graduating from UCSB with a BS Chemistry)
- 514 MCAT score
- 70 hours tutoring at a homeless domestic abuse shelter (1 hour a week)
- 100 or so hours shadowing MD/DO
- 200 hours volunteering at a pediatric unit
- 700 hours volunteering in a hospital setting
- Work as a server in a restaurant at night (about 30 hr/week for 4 years, still doing this with the MA job)
- Phlebotomy license (40 hours of clinical training with 100+ sticks)
- Will have worked part time (24 hours/week) as a MA for a year by the time I apply (so about 1100 hours total)

The only difference between my last app and this one is the extra hours volunteering and phlebotomy/MA. Any recommendations on what I could focus on in the upcoming months before applying?

Thanks in advance!
I suggest the following:
Rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them
Apply as soon as possible this coming cycle
Get in more non-clinical volunteering > 150 hr would be good.
You have plenty of clinical experience, so you can stop the volunteering if you want to.

I suggest:
Pitt
Your state schools
BU
Case
Tulane
Hofstra
Wake
Wayne State
SLU
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Albany
GWU
Gtown
Netter
Dartmouth
Emory
Creighton
NYMC
EVMS
NovaMD
Seton Hall
CalUMed if you're in CA
Kaiser if you're in CA
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks so much guys, really appreciate the input! Just to let you know I am indeed from CA. I also applied to about 25 DO schools and 15 MD late July the last time I applied (2017).

Thanks so much guys, really appreciate the input! Just to let you know I am indeed from CA. I also applied to about 25 DO schools and 15 MD late July the last time I applied (2017).
I am super shocked you didn’t get into any DO schools with your awesome MCAT.