Advice for Upcoming Interview/Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

718JJW

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

To preface, I don't know if this is the proper forum for my question, but it seemed like the best fit out of all the other options. My apologies if it is in the wrong spot.

I have been closely following the SDN Pre-Medical threads throughout this application cycle for the various schools that I have applied to. I am very fortunate to have an interview for an in-state MD program this coming week, (II received early last month). I have been extensively researching the program and like a lot of what I am reading, and this particular program was one of my top choices from the outset. Here is my dilemma - I have applied to 27 MD programs, and this is the only interview invite that I have received thus far. I am seriously considering sending a Letter of Intent to maximize my chances of acceptance. However, I have only received three Rs and two other pre-II holds, meaning that I have yet to hear back at all from 21 programs that I applied to, many of which have sent R waves that I have "dodged" to date. This is causing me some hesitation in sending a Letter of Intent due to its binding nature. Some other factors to consider - if I did not send the Letter of Intent, I would send a strong Letter of Interest. This particular program has a post-II A rate of >50%, but the waitlist movement is next to none. I feel extremely privileged to have this interview as I know many others are still waiting for their first of the cycle, but conflicted on how to best proceed. Do you think that there would be a significant difference in admissions chances between a Letter of Interest (strong and specific) and a Letter of Intent?

Any advice/insight on this situation would be tremendously appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What makes you think a letter of intent is binding? Most ADCOMS know these letters are from desperate students who will go anywhere accepted, even if they sent a LOI to a different school. They don’t really help but if you insist on sending one wait until after your interview and talk about why you are sure this is where you want to go. Make sure they even accept these kinds of letters.

Good luck on your interview.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
What makes you think a letter of intent is binding? Most ADCOMS know these letters are from desperate students who will go anywhere accepted, even if they sent a LOI to a different school. They don’t really help but if you insist on sending one wait until after your interview and talk about why you are sure this is where you want to go. Make sure they even accept these kinds of letters.

Good luck on your interview.
Hi - Thanks for the well wishes on the interview and your response. While “binding” may have not been the right term, from everything I’ve read online from different consulting companies, they seem to say pretty strongly that you should only send one letter of intent and you shouldn’t lie (i.e. attend elsewhere if you are accepted). Thanks for the advice on the timing - I won’t be sending either until after the interview.

Hi - Thanks for the well wishes on the interview and your response. While “binding” may have not been the right term, from everything I’ve read online from different consulting companies, they seem to say pretty strongly that you should only send one letter of intent and you shouldn’t lie (i.e. attend elsewhere if you are accepted). Thanks for the advice on the timing - I won’t be sending either until after the interview.
And all of that is true in theory. But in reality that isn’t what happens in many cases. (Some people even send more than one letter to various schools.) And that’s why many ADCOMS think of these letters as lies or less than truthful and reliable. And they certainly aren’t binding.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Moved to Pre-med (MD) forums.

State schools are likely less inclined to put value into these kinds of letters. They should have many interested students who would like to stay closer to home and pay in-state tuition. And these schools may be strict about giving you a final score for your app after the interview and going off only that as opposed to being swayed by a LOI.

Hello everyone,

To preface, I don't know if this is the proper forum for my question, but it seemed like the best fit out of all the other options. My apologies if it is in the wrong spot.

I have been closely following the SDN Pre-Medical threads throughout this application cycle for the various schools that I have applied to. I am very fortunate to have an interview for an in-state MD program this coming week, (II received early last month). I have been extensively researching the program and like a lot of what I am reading, and this particular program was one of my top choices from the outset. Here is my dilemma - I have applied to 27 MD programs, and this is the only interview invite that I have received thus far. I am seriously considering sending a Letter of Intent to maximize my chances of acceptance. However, I have only received three Rs and two other pre-II holds, meaning that I have yet to hear back at all from 22 programs that I applied to, many of which have sent R waves that I have "dodged" to date. This is causing me some hesitation in sending a Letter of Intent due to its binding nature. Some other factors to consider - if I did not send the Letter of Intent, I would send a strong Letter of Interest. This particular program has a post-II A rate of >50%, but the waitlist movement is next to none. I feel extremely privileged to have this interview as I know many others are still waiting for their first of the cycle, but conflicted on how to best proceed. Do you think that there would be a significant difference in admissions chances between a Letter of Interest (strong and specific) and a Letter of Intent?

Any advice/insight on this situation would be tremendously appreciated.
Just focus on this interview. LOI won’t move the needle when it comes to the initial decisions, ie, the committee decides on A/WL/R without any info about your LOI. The school has plenty people to pick from and if you don’t end up going after an acceptance, they simply don’t care.

Sending such a letter this early gives the impression that you make decisions before acquiring relevant information.
Hi - I should have specified that I would be sending this letter post-interview. I’m trying to figure out now what type of letter would be wisest to send after that time. However, it seems that the general consensus is that a letter of intent will have minimal to negligible impact on a final decision. Do you concur with that assessment?

Hi - I should have specified that I would be sending this letter post-interview. I’m trying to figure out now what type of letter would be wisest to send after that time. However, it seems that the general consensus is that a letter of intent will have minimal to negligible impact on a final decision. Do you concur with that assessment?
If you send it this early, it has the potential for giving a negative impression.
If you are waitlisted, the time to send such letters (if they are welcome) is after PTE.

It will help if you can convince the interviewers, e.g. when they will ask "why us", that you are really interested in this school. Do some research and prepare something concrete to say why you want to go to their school. Then you can emphasize it again in your thank you notes. Most likely one of the interviewers will present your case to the Adcom so their impression of your sincerity in their school could make a difference.

It its not necessary, but if you do choose to write one, the letter should clearly communicate why you want to attend that school and why you would be a good fit. It should be formal, specific, and direct. This letter cannot be generic. If you have any advocates such as a premed advisor, professor, mentor, research PI, or physician who is willing to call the school or send a letter to the admissions office, that is helpful as well. If you want step by step instructions, please read the following article “How Do I Write a Letter of Intent?

Reactions: 1 user