Other OT-Related Information Advice/How to Prepare for Occupational Therapy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeisgolden0508

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is a question for current Occupational Therapy students or Graduates. I am beginning Occupational Therapy school in August 2020. I graduated in May of 2019, so I have been out of school for about a year, but working with individuals with physical and intellectual disabilities in a Therapeutic Recreation program. Do you all have any advice for how to prepare for OT school? I have heard from many others not to worry about studying but to try to rest and take a break to prepare. But... it has almost been 3 years since I have taken Anatomy and Physiology, so I am worried I have forgotten a lot of content! I am also super anxious and ready to start the program and I am so excited to start school again and to begin learning about the field I have become so passionate about. Any advice you have is greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! This is a question for current Occupational Therapy students or Graduates. I am beginning Occupational Therapy school in August 2020. I graduated in May of 2019, so I have been out of school for about a year, but working with individuals with physical and intellectual disabilities in a Therapeutic Recreation program. Do you all have any advice for how to prepare for OT school? I have heard from many others not to worry about studying but to try to rest and take a break to prepare. But... it has almost been 3 years since I have taken Anatomy and Physiology, so I am worried I have forgotten a lot of content! I am also super anxious and ready to start the program and I am so excited to start school again and to begin learning about the field I have become so passionate about. Any advice you have is greatly appreciated!!

Just try to relax!!! I’m in my second semester now. It had been 3 years since I had taken Anatomy and I have NO regrets not studying prior to the program starting. Maybe kust get your personal life in order, get a good planner, binders for organization, anything you need to be effective in studying, and get mentally prepared!! OT school is hard- but you can do it and it’s totally worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Do you know what the curriculum is for the first semester of your program? Advice might depend on what other classes you’ll have at the same time as your grad school level anatomy/kinesiology (though regardless, if you’re smart and organized enough to get accepted to a program, you’ll probably survive ok!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with @mbOT626, enjoy this time before school. You will have 2+ years to study once school starts.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't bother with anything. Rest and relaxation.

Do you think it would be a good idea to work for the census (part time) on top of my full time job to earn a little extra money before school?

Like others have mentioned, it's a great idea to rest and relax while you can, but I remember when I was in your shoes I was also excited and anxious to review some stuff. So, if you would like to review some stuff here and there, reviewing anatomy is a great start! Other than that, take it easy on yourself :)

I have an instagram geared towards OT students (as I am a current OT student) for tips and tricks: @ot.enlightenment
Feel free to message me if there is any other advice you need!

Do you think it would be a good idea to work for the census (part time) on top of my full time job to earn a little extra money before school?
I chuckle at this post from two months ago. Here I was contemplating a second job (I was thinking of working for the census). Who knew that this current situation would make work 10x more chaotic and a second job would not have been manageable.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all!

I am reapplying to OT school for this 2020-2021 cycle. I am in the process of updating/rewriting my personal statement and was debating whether or not I should devote a small section to addressing me reapplying? I am applying to a total of 14 programs, however, only 3 of them were programs I previously applied to during the 2019-2020 OTCAS cycle. Thank you in advance for any advice/thoughts shared on this topic!!