Advice/Insight on OAT? Scoring EXTREMELY low

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

szoptogeek

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was reading through some OAT test dilemmas through this website but I have not found anyone with a physics score as low as mine... oops :confused:

So here's my current situation:
I am scoring way lower than what "low" is to people on this website.
I am doing Kaplan currently (the super expensive course which I am now questioning its quality) and I took a practice test BEFORE starting Kaplan. I scored okay (considering I hadn't studied at all and was just trying to get it over with) with a score of 270 AA and 270 TS

I've been studying for a good month and took another practice test to see how I'm doing.
This time I scored 260 AA and 260 TS, with a whopping 200 for my total physics score... 200!!! I literally got nothing correct in that section.

How do I study better or more efficiently? I am struggling HARD with physics.
And my OAT scores are getting worse, which I find odd.
Any advice for a sad, young soul?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend buying a subscription to all of the Chad Videos (or for the sections you are struggling on). >>> http://www.coursesaver.com/videos/OAT/
The whole subscription w/ every section included (except reading comprehension - not offered) is a little more than $200. Biology videos are free. Definitely not cheap but significantly cheaper than the Kaplan Course.

I would recommend the General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry videos and HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Physics videos if that is what you're struggling most on. I learned way more from these Ochem and Physics videos than I ever would have from any OAT textbook.

You will be able to follow along and rewind back if needed. It will require many hours of video watching and note taking but if you give yourself a good month or two, you should do fine.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with thisguy. I went to ASU and had the privilege of actually meeting and working with Chad. The way he explains things is clear and concise. He has also been doing this for years and knows how to get the information to you in an orderly fashion that isn't overwhelming. Here at ASU he is a staple before every Bio, Chem, Ochem, Physics exam.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Confidence and endurance is what you need. Sitting in front of a computer for 6+ hours is not east task. If you are not in a hurry, I would seriously suggest taking intro to physics at your institution if you have not done so. Other than that, practice makes perfect!

Chads videos 100%. Raised my score from a 300 to 330. Physics went up 30 also.

He is great, definitely do them. I followed up with the OAT Destroyer also, which gives you hundreds of questions!

Chads videos 100%. Raised my score from a 300 to 330. Physics went up 30 also.

He is great, definitely do them. I followed up with the OAT Destroyer also, which gives you hundreds of questions!

Well, I watched some of Chads but I feel like he goes over every single thing that entitles physics, bio, etc. it's hard to figure out what I need to focus on.

My advice would be to watch every video for physics. Perhaps you should even watch them a few times and make sure you do his practice questions.

Well, I watched some of Chads but I feel like he goes over every single thing that entitles physics, bio, etc. it's hard to figure out what I need to focus on.

You can't "focus" on anything. My first test for gen chem, I had 3 electron configuration questions. I knew none of them I have no problem in admitting that. I watched chads video on those twice and got every practice question right, I know them inside and out. The second test had ZERO configuration questions. It's a bit of a crap-shoot. Of course you will have some reoccurring questions. Like physics, you'll def have pulley questions, circular motion questions, wave questions, etc. Ochem is always gonna ask you for a final product or what is the most acidic, etc.

Most importantly just be well rounded in your studies. Putting in guess work on what is important might be counterproductive. It was for me! Watch every vid he has, take notes, take quizzes! OAT Destroyer is good too. The QR and biology was great in it, spot on to the test.

I ended up with a 330 my first try and here is what I did...
1. Look at MCAT materials... this may give you a bit more detail than you need, but I thought it was better to have more than I needed than not enough. I looked all over the place for a website/youtube videos or something that would give me info that I would need, but I wasted a lot of time searching and finding a lot of stuff that didn't even scratch the surface of what I needed to know. Since there are more people out there who take the MCAT, those materials are much cheaper. I think I used the Princeton Review Physical Sciences Review and the Biological Science Review. They were about 4-5 years old, so I got both for less than $20. These were very helpful... and yes, I do recommend that you read the ENTIRE thing.
2. I spent the money and bought the Kaplan Review notes. Read those entirely also. If there is something you don't fully understand, then do a quick search on the web. Be thorough when you read this book. I spent the money for the OAT Destroyer too, but I didn't use it... at all.
3. About two weeks before you take the test, start taking practice tests. And don't freak out when your Physics scores come back extremely low. While I took those practice tests, Physics was ALWAYS my lowest. I had already taken both Physics classes required for my degree, and made A's in both, but it didn't seem to help me much on these practice tests. I wish I could offer you some kind of peace by letting you know that the Physics section on the actual test is much easier than any practice test, but since you have already taken it, I doubt that would help much. I remember while taking the Physics section though that if there was a question that I had absolutely no clue how to go about doing, I always picked the answer that seemed like it didn't make any sense. And I suppose it helped... I got a 320 in Physics.
4. DO NOT STUDY THE TWO DAYS BEFORE YOUR TEST. Relax and don't freak yourself out. In total, I had spent about 2.5 months studying for about 4 hours a day. Relax. You need to.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

also you can use the DAT books as the dentistry and optometry admission exams are written by ADA. I never purchased any books, all I did was visit my local library and borrow whatever was available (MCAT/DAT/OAT/PCAT). It's always great to get several perspectives on the same scientific basics.