Advice need for Ortho Resident pushed out of program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stuckinarut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need to ask you all some advice, but I have to let you know that I am not in medical school or at all involved with medicine.

I have a very good friend who went to med school and recently completed his 2nd year of residency as an orthopedic surgeon.

Unfortunately he found out that his contract was not renewed. I have read the letter that his chairman gave him and basically they only reason they are giving him for basically firing him was that during his last year 50% of his evaluation were good, but 50% of his evaluations were only mediocre. They advised him to look into another field of medicine. Ouch. He had never hurt never hurt/killed/injured a patient.. the issue had NOTHING to do with patient care, so it’s not over anything like that… the guy also feels like it’s somewhat political because he got on the bad side of his chairman.

They let him go but have allowed him to stay on to do research. Since that time he’s been on one interview, which he didn’t get. But there are basically NO ortho open positions. He’s been looking EVERYWHERE.

At this point he feels at a loss, he’s been pushed out of his residency program and he can’t even find any positions to apply for. This is pretty much un-chartered territory for him, and I really don’t think he knows what to do next.

So what advise do you have?

What options does he have?

Should he re-enter the match?

And if he does what fields are less competitive?

And further, if he does enter the match for Internal Med or General Surgery – does he really stand the chance? Wont he have to sit there and explain what happened previously?

This situation is just extremely difficult for him, and any advise or ideas that you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Have any of you heard of residents who are pushed out of their programs? What ends up happening to them? What happens to their career?

Members don't see this ad.

That sucks if the situation is as you say. I would have probably looked into legal options if they do not have cause to dismiss him. I believe I have heard of people contesting their dismissal. It might make it a tough 3 years but he would finish. Most places would hold someone back another year instead of dismissal so there might be something more to it. As far as future options. Ortho is one of the hardest specialties to get into. Surgery is more difficult now after the 80 hour work week. He should have no problem with getting a family practice residency spot and could do a sports medicine fellowship. No surgery but similar patient problems or PM&R could be an option. tell him good luck

That sucks if the situation is as you say. I would have probably looked into legal options if they do not have cause to dismiss him. I believe I have heard of people contesting their dismissal. It might make it a tough 3 years but he would finish. Most places would hold someone back another year instead of dismissal so there might be something more to it. As far as future options. Ortho is one of the hardest specialties to get into. Surgery is more difficult now after the 80 hour work week. He should have no problem with getting a family practice residency spot and could do a sports medicine fellowship. No surgery but similar patient problems or PM&R could be an option. tell him good luck

actually a bunch of the other residents and people that he works with were telling him the say thing (in regards to legal, etc) I just think that he wanted to take his lumps, I don't know.. he's a bit timid. and the hospital offered to let him stay on for 2 years doing research.

the whole think is just a bit screwed up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really need to ask you all some advice, but I have to let you know that I am not in medical school or at all involved with medicine.

I'm confused.

You aren't in medicine?

But yet you're an ortho resident?

First post here. I just decided I would join in on the fun, SDN is pretty fun to read. Ortho res here.

How does that work?

Reactions: 1 user
My 2 cents: Go to www.orthogate.com and there is a forum for ortho residents. That site is run by orthopedic attendings, fellows, and residents so they'd have a better idea. There's even a forum for upper level ortho positions.

If he wants ortho he is going to need to take a chance and piss some people off and go the legal route. Of course they were "nice" enough to give him a research spot. Smart labor and no commitment (sounds good to them).

I have a very good friend who went to med school and recently completed his 2nd year of residency as an orthopedic surgeon.

Unfortunately he found out that his contract was not renewed. I have read the letter that his chairman gave him and basically they only reason they are giving him for basically firing him was that during his last year 50% of his evaluation were good, but 50% of his evaluations were only mediocre. They advised him to look into another field of medicine. Ouch. He had never hurt never hurt/killed/injured a patient.. the issue had NOTHING to do with patient care, so it’s not over anything like that… the guy also feels like it’s somewhat political because he got on the bad side of his chairman.

They let him go but have allowed him to stay on to do research. Since that time he’s been on one interview, which he didn’t get. But there are basically NO ortho open positions. He’s been looking EVERYWHERE.

At this point he feels at a loss, he’s been pushed out of his residency program and he can’t even find any positions to apply for. This is pretty much un-chartered territory for him, and I really don’t think he knows what to do next.

So what advise do you have?

What options does he have?

Should he re-enter the match?

And if he does what fields are less competitive?

And further, if he does enter the match for Internal Med or General Surgery – does he really stand the chance? Wont he have to sit there and explain what happened previously?

This situation is just extremely difficult for him, and any advise or ideas that you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Have any of you heard of residents who are pushed out of their programs? What ends up happening to them? What happens to their career?

You have no legal ground to stand on. RTFC. Read the Full Contract. You have no legal recourse.

Since you have completed PGY-1, you are best off lookng for programs that want PGY-2s. There is no shoratage, Rads, Anes, etc. They are often looking for PGY2s due to expansion. Otherwise, troll around after the match for a PGY-1 position in whatever is open.

DB out

So the "good friend" is actually him?

I'm just wondering what happened to the poor dude.

The decade thread revival. Pretty sure they've long moved on