Advice Needed: 2016 application cycle, Non Trad...to apply or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flippinski

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm grappling with whether to apply this cycle? My GPA shows a strong upward trend in my postbacc (w/2 upper level Bio classes), and I'm studying for MCAT for April 18th test date. I guess my ultimate question is, based on my statistics, what range should my MCAT be in order for me to have a shot this year on the application cycle? Would a 27 (500) be ok, 30 (505) good and 33 (512) would be wonderful, but realistically what is my bottom line on the MCAT to still be a competitive applicant? See any holes in my application that I need to work on? Thoughts?

30 yo, female, from medically undeserved area, economically disadvantaged

MCAT: unknown
cGPA 3.33
sGPA 3.30
all other GPA 3.37

post bacc. cGPA 3.83
post bacc. sGPA 3.78
post bacc all other 4.0

B.S. Mathematics, Civil Engineering, Minor Law & Technology
M.S. Civil Engineering (3.0 GPA)

80 hrs Clinical (ER Scribe)
50 hrs Shadowing (ER Doctor, OBGYN)
1500 hrs Tutoring
200 hrs Volunteering
15,000 hrs Project Management
3,000 hrs Research

Strong E.C's
Great LOR's

(3) Published Research papers
Started Non-profit from Research

Retired Professional Athlete
Honorably Discharged Navy Veteran

Members don't see this ad.

I think 29 should be your lowest. While we're speaking realistically, I think given your performance so far academically that you can absolutely break 30. I'm applying this cycle as well and I say if you break 30, absolutely pull the trigger and apply.

T
I think 29 should be your lowest. While we're speaking realistically, I think given your performance so far academically that you can absolutely break 30. I'm applying this cycle as well and I say if you break 30, absolutely pull the trigger and apply.
Thanks! That's my goal, I'm taking a Kaplan prep course w/exam krackers books to cross reference, hoping I can get a 30...that's what I'm aiming for. If I could knock it out of the park that would be great, have 2 months to go, and 4 months till I get my scores.

Honestly, if I can break 30, so can you. Stay positive, grind hard, get to medical school. You're doing well so far.