Advice Needed 30 MCAT 3.67 GPA (thank you!) CA resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLABruwins

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just got my MCAT scores (11PS 9V 10BS) back and need some real advice on whether I should apply this cycle. Averaged 28-32 on all the AAMC practice tests which is why I'm hesitant to take the MCAT again, but definitely am considering it. I'm a White, Junior male at UCLA (receive full financial aid if that means anything). My goal is to get into A medical school. I understand my shot at a CA school is little to none but I do have ties to the inland empire (for UCR which I'm shooting for). As I apply I'm continuing research, coaching, shadowing, and starting a new non-clinical volunteer position (deals with sustainable agriculture in LA helping the underserved).

In terms of my application I'm trying to show my commitment to working with the underserved (have coached basketball to at risk youth for a couple years). I also have non-clinical volunteering with the homeless (Monday Night Mission).

I'm planning to apply to CA schools + broadly out of state. Also 1 side question, if I submit my AMCAS early will it hinder my app (in terms of being early still) if my letters of rec aren't in until mid-June? Thanks for your time, all advice is appreciated!

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

UCLA Nanoelectronics Research Facility (Los Angeles, CA) February 2012-June 2012

Lab Assistant
· Performed lab duties including restocking supplies, handling chemical waste and other various, specific tasks

UCLA Recreation (Westwood, CA)

Lifeguard
· Lifeguarded at both a lap pool and family pool that averaged approximately 100 people per day; helped maintain a safe, clean, and friendly environment

UCLA Department of Medical and Molecular Pharmacology October 2013-Present

Undergraduate Researcher
· Currently involved with a project focused on genetically modifying skin cells in vitro to become bone cells. Overall goal is to develop a novel therapeutic approach to spinal fusion in patients suffering from degenerative spinal conditions
· Perform standard tissue culturing, RNA extraction, cDNA synthesis, and PCR protocols
· In the process of helping publish a paper this summer + will be presenting at my schools Science Poster Day

Doctor Shadowing (Los Angeles, CA) April 2013-Present
· Shadowed an Ophthalmologist and Internal Medicine physician for over 50 hours. Planning to shadow a Primary Care physician the next couple month's
· Gained valuable clinical experience in a hospital and private practice settings
· Also volunteered at Ronald Reagan Liver Transplant department, interacting with medical staff and patients

clip_image002.png

LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE

L.A. County Junior Fair Board September 2010-May 2011

President
· Oversaw fundraising efforts and contributed over $5000 to the local Child Development Center
· Conducted weekly meetings, leading over 30 members to discuss marketing efforts for upcoming teenage fairs
· Participated in workshops, speeches and presentations to facilitate and enhance leadership skills

Boys and Girls Club and Youth Basketball League October 2009 -Present
Head Coach (4 years coaching experience)
· Led a team of 7th and 8th grade students to the league championship for 3 consecutive years
· Improved students’ overall basketball fundamentals and taught the value of sportsmanship
· Developed practice schedules, routines, team meetings and organized communication with parents
· Selected by the league as an All-Star Coach twice (2 years)

Fraternity (Westwood, CA) September 2012-Present
Leadership Development Chair
· Organized a philanthropy event at a local Habitat for Humanity build site for fraternity members
· Served as pre-med counselor for fraternity; offered advice to peers on classes, research and volunteer opportunities
· Planned an event for an alumni to give a talk on future financial success

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for Life Science Lab at UCLA (Westwood, CA) January 2014-Present
· Assisted TA’s in running labs biweekly for two quarters
· Assisted students performing various experiments and presented scientific concepts to the class
· Learned to be comfortable giving academic presentations, interacting and teaching students

clip_image004.png

Members don't see this ad.

You have the right idea, CA is extremely tough, it would still be a big uphill challenge if your mcat was at your best (32). Your EC's are pretty good though, and I think you should be able to go interviews if you apply broadly OOS. If you are open to DO schools, you are also really competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So far all CA schools (-Stanford)

MD:
Albany
Chicago Med-Franklin
Creighton
Drexel
Florida Atlantic University – Schimdt
George Washington
Georgetown
Hofstra University North Shore – LIJ SOM
Jefferson
MCW
New York Medical
Oakland University William Beaumont Medical School
Quinnipiac – Frank Netter SOM
Rowan University – Cooper Medical School
Rosalind
Rush
St Louis
Temple
Tufts
Tulane
Virginia Tech Carilion
Loyola
Western Michigan
Wake forest
VCU

DO:
WesternU/COMP (from the area)

Thank you both for responding. If you were in my shoes would you apply this cycle or retake MCAT/obtain more shadowing hours and wait until next year? I know this is very subjective, but I'm basically 50:50 right now...

Id apply. How is your sGPA?

Hello,

Hope is everyone is doing well. I decided to take a gap year to improve my application (additional clinical hours, shadowing, improved research experience; have 3 manuscripts submitted for publication and am first coauthor on another in preparation for submission). I'm getting ready to apply this cycle and would like some help narrowing down my MD school list (33 schools at the moment). % Interview (from highest to lowest) and matriculated were both calculated using the MSAR in regards to OOS applicants (except CA). My goal is to stay in CA with my top choice being UCR (IE ties) and I know I'm a reach at the other UC's (brother attends USC so thought I'd throw it in). I only included schools where I would at least fall in the 10th percentile for my MCAT score. Thank you for the help!

Medical School % Interview % matriculated Median MCAT
Albert Einstein 15.8 11.07 34
St Louis 13.4 15 33
UCSD 12.7 (29-29) 35
UCLA 12.3 (27-39) 34
UCI 11.2 (30-38) 34
UCD 11 (27-37) 32
UCSF 9.7 (30-39) 35
Albany 9.6 11.9 32
Creighton 9.4 23.5 31
Georgetown 9.1 17 32
New York Medical 9.1 16 32
Hofstra University North Shore 8.9 12 34
George Washington 8 15 31
Tufts 7.5 18.1 31
Jefferson 7.4 26 33
VCU 7.3 22 31
Oakland University William Beaumont 7.2 26 31
FIU 7
Drexel 6.7 19 32
Western Michigan 6.7 19 32
Temple 6.3 12.4 32
Florida Atlantic University – 6.2 24 33
Quinnipiac 6.1 23 31
MCW 6 26 32
Virginia Tech Carilion 5.8 19 33
Wake forest 5.8 21 32
Tulane 5.2 36 33
UCR 5 24.3 30
Chicago Med-Franklin 4.4 30 31
Loyola 4.4 22 33
Rush 3.3 24 31
Rowan University – 3 19 30
USC MCAT (30-37) 35

Thanks for the help! Hmm and I shall heed your advice, I've deleted all but GW (bro doesn't have much connection to the med school at SC so it seems like a futile attempt applying). Are there 3 other MD schools you think I should scratch?

I'm adding AZCOM, Western, Touro NY, and Michigan St as well.

I'd suggest deleting FIU (not many OOS) and FAU (same reason) and replace them with University of Miami and University of South Florida. UM is private and USF takes in a lot of OOS students for a public FL school.