Coursework & Fieldwork Advice Needed: Current Undergraduate looking into OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puppycujo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am 90% sure that I want to be a pediatric OT eventually and have several options this summer. As I am taking summer classes, I can only partake in one of the following: 1) Volunteering at an occupational therapy clinic 2) Interning at a physician (chinese-owned) general clinic (I would scribe and such; unpaid internship) and POSSIBLY 3) volunteering at a hospital (patient transport most likely)

The third option is only a possibility if I get accepted but the first two are confirmed.

Please let me know! I'm pretty certain I want to go into OT but I don't know if since I just finished my first year of undergrad, they'll want to see that I'm looking into other fields as well (option #2).

Please let me know as soon as possible!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am 90% sure that I want to be a pediatric OT eventually and have several options this summer. As I am taking summer classes, I can only partake in one of the following: 1) Volunteering at an occupational therapy clinic 2) Interning at a physician (chinese-owned) general clinic (I would scribe and such; unpaid internship) and POSSIBLY 3) volunteering at a hospital (patient transport most likely)

The third option is only a possibility if I get accepted but the first two are confirmed.

Please let me know! I'm pretty certain I want to go into OT but I don't know if since I just finished my first year of undergrad, they'll want to see that I'm looking into other fields as well (option #2).

Please let me know as soon as possible!

Thank you!

Do the OT one. Schools won't care if you have experience in other areas.

Even if its just volunteering experience? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would volunteer at the OT clinic. OT schools mainly care about prospective students gaining experience in the OT field. I believe most schools require at least 50 hours. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Even if its just volunteering experience? Thanks!

Yes, I volunteered at an OT clinic before and was even able to sit in some sessions with the OT and get hours. Volunteering there will be good as u will be there for awhile and one of the OTs may be able to write u a recommendation once u are ready to apply.

The shift I volunteer for has allowed me to observe the OT. In the fall my schedule probably won't let me volunteer, but because I have gotten to know one OT pretty well, I could probably go and still observe her.

Also get to know an OT because they know other OTs that you can shadow. Makes it easier when you can say "so-and-so referred me to you as someone to observe" as you'll get a faster response.

I second the OT clinic statement. I worked as a rehabilitation technician for a year, and I was able to move up to a better position that pays me well, while prepping to get into school. Something to consider.

Is it worth my time volunteering at a hospital (duty: patient transport)?

I can give you a first time applicant's perspective on the hospital setting. I was a clinical care volunteer at my local hospital and I transported patients between floors and after they were discharged regularly. Transporting patients was a great way to practice bedside manor and learn my way around the hospital. I too think that OT hours should be your first priority, but considering that you have a few years of undergrad left, I would encourage you to try out a hospital internship if you have the time. As a ccv, I rotated through different floors, provided hands on care, and was able to talk to therapists and other healthcare professionals. I credit the experience for giving me confidence in talking about OT in the context of different environments, populations and other allied health professions. There are so many ways to get your hours and stand out to schools. Good luck!