Advice Needed, I'm not sure what to do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1155767

Hi, I just need some advice on how to move forward.

I graduated from undergrad in 3 years from a lower end school (finished July 2022) and since then I have been studying for my MCAT full-time. I took my MCAT in January but I know I did really poorly (below 500) as I underestimated the difficultly of the exam and prepared poorly. I am still awaiting results (which come out this month) but I definitely know I need to re-take it again to reach my goal score (around or above 510).

I think might need a couple more months (6) to study for my re-take, and I will most likely use a prep company this time. I plan to take it again maybe around June/July/August which makes it hard for me to apply this application cycle. This pushes my time-frame another year, in which I think I might be ready for the 2024-2025 application cycle.

Instead of re-taking my MCAT and waiting another application year, my parents want me to go to a Caribbean Medical School (SGU) and start this April so I can get started on med school sooner. They have heard a lot of stories about their friend's kids not getting into US med schools and resorting to other careers. They also don't want me wasting years of my life in the application cycle.

I'm not sure what to do as I've always wanted to something in Neuroscience and I'm very passionate about medicine. But I think going to the Caribbean may limit my options. I have been applying to MA positions but I haven't heard back from any.

Should I apply to SGU? Should I just take this year to study for the MCAT and keep applying to jobs? I'm very conflicted and I would appreciate any advice.

Edit: cGPA: 3.78, sGPA: 3.74, ORM, CA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the year to study and retake. Do not go SGU or any other Caribbean school.

Reactions: 6 users
What's up this year or next dilemma buddy. I asked myself 'will I be upset I took another year to give myself the best chance possible versus gunning it and feeling pressure/behind the eight ball the entire way?' I can't answer that for you, but I figure if this will be my life when/if I get in somewhere then another year to dial in isn't the worst thing.

Also, would you have considered the Caribbean if your parents didn't bring it up? You're not other people's kids, if this is what you want then do it on your own terms. And check the average Caribbean debt and match rates (not the ones they publish themselves!) versus what you're looking at stateside, too.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am still awaiting results (which come out this month) but I definitely know I need to re-take it again to reach my goal score (around or above 510).

Come back when you get your results. I can't remember exactly what score is good for DO but I think it's above 500 nowadays? If you get a score good enough for DO schools why not just go that route? A 3rd retake would only marginally help you at that point and wouldn't even guarantee a 510+ Oh and don't go Caribbean

Also, would you have considered the Caribbean if your parents didn't bring it up?
I actually considered it and it seems like a good option if I have to start to medschool earlier. But I reconsidered because I don’t think I can stay on an island for 2 years away from friends/family.

I don't know what you have done with your activities to see if you could apply this cycle. If you can sneak in a score by July, as long as you have a satisfactory record of accomplishments, activities, and experiences pointing to your readiness for medical school, you could roll the dice. Do a WAMC and post there after you get your MCAT.

Reactions: 3 users
I actually considered it and it seems like a good option if I have to start to medschool earlier. But I reconsidered because I don’t think I can stay on an island for 2 years away from friends/family.

In what world does more than half the class being forced to fail out by the Caribbean schools and then only slightly more than half of those left even getting a residency seemed like a good option?

You haven’t done a single application cycle yet, not a one. DO NOT go to the Caribbean, and please do some research on the actual numbers of how many students are left with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and no way to pay it back because they went to a predatory Caribbean school.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Go to r/premed and read through the posts on the wiki about Caribbean school. Caribbean schools have extremely high rates of people dropping out or being held back, tuition is crazy high, residency placement is generally in undesirable programs, admin at some schools can be toxic, etc. If you end up deciding this route that's your decision, but make sure you're as well-informed as possible and not just doing this because of your parents or because you don't want to wait another year. That year might feel great now, but you'll thank yourself down the line when you're in a school that supports its students and has a real 95%+ match rate to quality programs.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Have you done any research on Caribbean schools outside of what your parents friends have told them?

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.