Advice needed on Extra-curricular Activities when applying for a university

What other extra-curricular activities should I do to put on my resume?

• Second Work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tutor

• Sport Team

• Model United Nations

• others, discuss in the thread

• Total voters

Jamesgz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in grade 11, but I dont know what extra-curreicular activities I should do... I will need 5 GOOD ones on my resume. What did you guys put on your resume?

I have:
- First Aid Practice + Competition

- Jazz Band (Saxophone) + Piano (Not very good. Didn't go test my grade. But I started when I was 5 and is continuing playing level 6 pieces)

- Around 60 hours of community service

- Working for a TV testing company in China (Translating English emails, replying English phone calls)

- Air Cadet (Dislike it a lottttttt. Nothing big accomplished in it and also not a leader in it since I joined air cadet late. I wanna quit it. But if I keep doing it, it would be a total of 2 years in air cadet on my resume.)

What else should I put on my resume? I need you guys' help

Some options are:

- I will find a kid to tutor at my school somehow.

- work at MacDonald or something

- Sport team

- Model United Nations

- etc...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so college?

You're already off to a good start. Here's a challenge for you: what do YOU want to do? If you don't like the Army Cadets, don't do it. And I would advise against tutoring or working at McDonalds given the very ambivalent manner in which you listed them off.

I say this because really, ECs serve three purposes: 1) to show you're well-rounded, 2) to demonstrate your ability to balance multiple obligations, and 3) as meat for your college essays. If you actually like what you're doing, colleges will see that, and it'll make it a much easier part of the application for you.

Just do what you like. Besides clinical and volunteer experience, all the medical schools care about are whether you were engaged in meaningful activities. ECs are a lot more meaningful if you enjoy them.

I can offer an opinion on Model United Nations, as I just finished one recently. It is awesome if you generally like people and are passionate about the issues faced by the world. I am personally interested in global health and health politics and am investigating a dual MD/MPH, so MUN is right up my alley, but it's good for developing people skills necessary for physicians as well.

I advocate quality over quantity. When I was in high school, I had a few ECs but became very involved with them. As such, I echo the above sentiments on doing what you enjoy.

Curious about that Chinese TV company though -- seems interesting (I'm a Chinese Studies minor as a non-Chinese person haha).

I'm in MUN right now actually and if you want to you should definitely do it. It offers a lot of good experience and it can be really fun and interesting.
A bit of a warning though, it's a ton of work and depending on your school, it can require some major commitment. At my school we take it pretty seriously and my teachers, since it's actually a class here, try and push us to take it seriously and put all real effort into it.