Advice needed. Pre-med committee not submitting letters on time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omega2r

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undegrad pre-med comittee has had my letters for over a month. They told me that there has been a "personnel change" and the letters will get submitted "as soon as possible" but mentioned no specific date.

Any idea of how much time I have to get the LOR in before schools begin to hold this against me? (I received my first secondary July 1st)

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Would love the answer to this because my UG institution was backlogged and now it's been a month of waiting for them to submit letters. Now I've been told the committee letter has been submitted, and although AMCAS says it takes 24 hours to be accepted into the system, it's still not there. So frustrating that I see all these folks getting interviews when it seems all my effort to get primary done early along with getting secondaries turned around in two weeks is kinda moot if my UG letter is still not viewable! Hoping it doesn't hurt me long term. And hoping it shows up received soon!

If you are complete at places (letters, secondaries, fee) in August, you are still in good shape. I sympathize with the committee letter troubles, but try to write secondaries in the meantime to get your mind off of it. Medical schools often prefer committee letters, and if your committee is established then they will expect one; other students from your school will be going through the same thing too, so you're not alone.

I had a similar issue with an individual letter. Depending on how much longer you have to wait, you may consider contacting some of the schools and advising them of your situation. I contacted some of the schools where my delayed LOR was holding up the progress of my application (which, I assume would be everywhere you are applying as it's a committee letter) and told them what was going on, that I was eager to get the letter to them, loved them, etc. Most of the people that I spoke with appreciated the update.