Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atny

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friend,

I was an engineering major 3.14 GPA, premed science GPA 3.45. My first MCAT score is a 26. Any chance I can get into MD school? I have a job and I volunteered at hospital before.

Members don't see this ad.

I think we need some more information: ie, clinical experience? have you spent any time shadowing? any research that you've participated in?

Applications to med schools are more than just GPA +MCAT :).

Hello friend,

I was an engineering major 3.14 GPA, premed science GPA 3.45. My first MCAT score is a 26. Any chance I can get into MD school? I have a job and I volunteered at hospital before.

Post in the "What are my Chances" thread under Pre-Allo; you'll probably get a better answer from adcoms.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello friend,

I can say without knowing much else, your odds with a 26 MCAT and a 3.45 sGPA are very low, unless you are a URM or something truly exceptional is not reflected in your post. You might get into DO schools with that as long as your ECs are good, but if you are set on MD, you will need to improve your sGPA and your MCAT to have a good shot, along with good ECs.

What is ECs?

Extra-Curricular! = EC
Volunteering, clubs, community involvement. Adcoms like to see a lot more than GPA and MCAT scores when admitting someone to med school. There has been a shift in medical education to wards more "social" awareness. People with Biology degrees, 3.75+ GPA, 4 years in a lab aren't automatic shoe ins any longer.

As one adcom put it: "when you go to the opera, you don't JUST see violinists!"....they want a diverse student body. Young, old, science degrees, art, social degrees. They want diversity. One thing they all seem to want: That you are sincere about patient care/medicine.

Hello friend,

As has been said above, there's more to it than numbers and frankly your numbers aren't good. You have no real chance at US allo with a 3.1/ 26 MCAT. That mcat needs to be retaken, no point applying yet. And a mentioned, your ECs need o be stellar -- there needs to be no question this person has racked up the health experiences and knows what he's getting into. The days of acceptances based on grades/test scores ended in 1975. And why medicine? Why not engineering? Why now? You've given people nothing to go on. Based solely on what you have given though the answer is no. You would be wasting application fees and setting yourself up to be a reapplicant. If the question is "can I get there from here" the answer is, probably.

I like to work with people more than sitting in a cubicle. I invented few things which help the industry I'm in. I have a disability and been working to feed my family that's why med school seems impossible until now.

I like to work with people more than sitting in a cubicle. I invented few things which help the industry I'm in. I have a disability and been working to feed my family that's why med school seems impossible until now.
Have you looked at the "technical skills" required for medical students/physicians? Most medical schools publish a list of what someone needs to be able to do, physically, to become a doctor. Look at those technical skills, and compare them to what your disability will and won't allow you to do, keeping in mind there are very few options to "lighten" your work-load during physician training. No point in spending a ton of time and money trying to repair your grades and re-take you MCAT if you find out what is demanded of physicians is intolerable for you.....

Not with these numbers. OK for DO programs.