Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luvlost

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just completed my first year of undergrad and I had a really tough time transitioning from high school. I checked my grades on my school website and realized that I am considered a junior. I completed my first year of college in high school! Now I am freaking out! I don't have any shadowing and I only volunteered at the homeless once. I have only been involved in like two organizations on campus. My GPA right now is a 3.36. I plan to retake calculus and chemistry I made a d and try to shot for a 4.0 these next two semesters and hopefully bring my GPA to a 3.5ish. Should I slow down on my classes ( i have been taking 16-17 credit hours a semester) and graduate with my right class so I can have more time to bring my GPA up and get more volunteer and shadowing in? Or do you think that I will be able to apply for med school with like a high 3.5ish GPA and take the mcat in next spring score high and get as much volunteer hours in as I can into this year? I really would not like to have a gap year.

Ps. Even though I am not interesting in becoming a research Doctor, should I still do some research?

Members don't see this ad.

> 85% of all MD school matriculants have research in their app. To quote the wise DrMidlife:

“you've preferably had some exposure to research so you can be convinced that Wakefield used malicious dirtbag methods and is not the savior of the world's children.”

Hello everyone! I just completed my first year of undergrad and I had a really tough time transitioning from high school. I checked my grades on my school website and realized that I am considered a junior. I completed my first year of college in high school! Now I am freaking out! I don't have any shadowing and I only volunteered at the homeless once. I have only been involved in like two organizations on campus. My GPA right now is a 3.36. I plan to retake calculus and chemistry I made a d and try to shot for a 4.0 these next two semesters and hopefully bring my GPA to a 3.5ish. Should I slow down on my classes ( i have been taking 16-17 credit hours a semester) and graduate with my right class so I can have more time to bring my GPA up and get more volunteer and shadowing in? Or do you think that I will be able to apply for med school with like a high 3.5ish GPA and take the mcat in next spring score high and get as much volunteer hours in as I can into this year? I really would not like to have a gap year.

Ps. Even though I am not interesting in becoming a research Doctor, should I still do some research?

Reactions: 1 user