Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ioripi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the MCAT reddit but wanted to get some input here too,

I am a rising Junior and am scheduled to take the MCAT September 1st. I realize this is quite early for taking the MCAT and my reasoning behind this was to dedicate my whole summer to studying and then be able to focus on coursework and lab/job without having to worry about the MCAT during the fall.

Currently I am unsure whether I should postpone or not. I feel like there is so much more I can improve on and study. I don't want to regret rushing to take the test early knowing I had more time and room for improvement. The next time I would probably take it would be January.

During my fall semester I was planning on juggling 2 labs, and a TA position in addition to my courses. So changing my MCAT date would alter this plan quite a bit.

My goal is to score around a 515. Below are my scores on tests for reference. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

NS1- 511 NS2-509 NS3-507 (really TERRIBLE CARS score) NS5-512

EK1- 74% EK2- 73%

P/S section bank: 72%

(haven't done remainder of SBs, OG, AAMC Tests, or CARS q-packs yet, but plan to in the coming weeks)

Members don't see this ad.

If you really feel rushed, then by all means, postpone. However, your practice test scores look extremely promising, and I think you could definitely hit your target by September 1st. I, too, felt a wave of panic/worry about three weeks out from my test and felt that I wasn't going to be ready, but those last three weeks were some of my most productive studying. Similarly to you, I scored a 512 on my NS practice test about three weeks out, and ended up scoring a 519 actual, but everyone is different. No material is more representative than AAMC, and I think once you transition over to the AAMC questions you'll feel more confident.

If I were you, I would take it on September 1st. But only you know how prepared you feel, and if you're going to have high levels of anxiety or worry on test day from feeling unprepared, then maybe you should postpone.

If you really feel rushed, then by all means, postpone. However, your practice test scores look extremely promising, and I think you could definitely hit your target by September 1st. I, too, felt a wave of panic/worry about three weeks out from my test and felt that I wasn't going to be ready, but those last three weeks were some of my most productive studying. Similarly to you, I scored a 512 on my NS practice test about three weeks out, and ended up scoring a 519 actual, but everyone is different. No material is more representative than AAMC, and I think once you transition over to the AAMC questions you'll feel more confident.

If I were you, I would take it on September 1st. But only you know how prepared you feel, and if you're going to have high levels of anxiety or worry on test day from feeling unprepared, then maybe you should postpone.
Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. Is your NS score with the newer scale? Congrats on your score by the way!

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. Is your NS score with the newer scale? Congrats on your score by the way!
Yep! I just took the MCAT this June. And thank you!

It's one of those tests that you will never feel 100% ready to take. If you've done the bulk of your content review and are just doing practice questions/tests, I'd say you should just finish up the rest of the exams you have and take it. Just make sure that you're scoring around the 515 on your AAMC tests. Most people score right around their AAMC practice test scores, and better than the test prep company practice test scores. If you still feel extremely unprepared or for some reason do poorly on the AAMC tests, you can always take the test and have it voided.