Advice on application with low SMP GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flowerpot_1234

Reaction score
Anybody have advice on what to do with these stats and whether or not I should I apply this cycle? I did a masters of medical science program and I have not taken the MCAT but am planning on taking it in March/April.

AAMCAS GPAs

uGPA- 2.83

sGPA- 2.65

SMP GPA- 3.0

Clinical hours- 500+

Non-clinical hours- 1000+

I know my SMP is still very low so I was wondering if I should I do another program such as a postbacc or masters? Or should I just apply this cycle with these stats and get a really high MCAT? I have good ECs, a strong story, but the thing that would really hurt my application would be my GPAs. I have a short upward trend during junior and senior year of undergrad. During undergrad, I had to help out my family a lot, my cousin brother passed away, had health issues of my own. I reflected very late in undergrad and I knew I had to do a masters to prove to med schools that I am able to handle the coursework. I got high B’s in my masters but obviously still is a 3.0. I know I could do really well academically but since the poor GPA has been consistent I feel none of my reasons will make sense to ADCOMS, unless I do another program and get a 4.0 or as close to that as possible. Also it would cost me a lot of money to enroll into another program which is a factor.

I had been going back and forth with the idea of just doing really really well on the MCAT, apply, and see what happens. But I am really losing hope because with those GPAs my application will most likely be filtered out at a lot of schools. I would really appreciate any advice I can get.

Members don't see this ad.

What advice have you gotten from your SMP director or faculty? In the absence of knowing your performance in your SMP classes, I would advice you to cut bait and consider other options and not take the MCAT unless you are thinking about podiatry.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Anybody have advice on what to do with these stats and whether or not I should I apply this cycle? I did a masters of medical science program and I have not taken the MCAT but am planning on taking it in March/April.

AAMCAS GPAs

uGPA- 2.83

sGPA- 2.65

SMP GPA- 3.0

Clinical hours- 500+

Non-clinical hours- 1000+

I know my SMP is still very low so I was wondering if I should I do another program such as a postbacc or masters? Or should I just apply this cycle with these stats and get a really high MCAT? I have good ECs, a strong story, but the thing that would really hurt my application would be my GPAs. I have a short upward trend during junior and senior year of undergrad. During undergrad, I had to help out my family a lot, my cousin brother passed away, had health issues of my own. I reflected very late in undergrad and I knew I had to do a masters to prove to med schools that I am able to handle the coursework. I got high B’s in my masters but obviously still is a 3.0. I know I could do really well academically but since the poor GPA has been consistent I feel none of my reasons will make sense to ADCOMS, unless I do another program and get a 4.0 or as close to that as possible. Also it would cost me a lot of money to enroll into another program which is a factor.

I had been going back and forth with the idea of just doing really really well on the MCAT, apply, and see what happens. But I am really losing hope because with those GPAs my application will most likely be filtered out at a lot of schools. I would really appreciate any advice I can get.
I can't sugar coat this: I can't recommend applying with an app like this. You have yet to demonstrate that you can handle medical school. At my school, we have a decade's worth of data that shows someone with your SMP GPA would fail our program.

So, it's time for Plan B

Reactions: 1 users
It’s kind of why SMPs are considered high risk/high reward. If you do well in them it opens up a lot of doors, if you don’t it closes more doors than what you started with.

You really need to talk to the SMP to see what your options are but it would be foolish to just assume you will get a high MCAT based off of the SMP performance alone.

Agree with @Mr.Smile12 podiatry may be an option. You could potentially try to target the newest DO schools as well, but I wouldn’t do that because you are setting yourself up for a high chance of failure as they will not have established faculty or teaching methods yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I understand and I appreciate the responses @Mr.Smile12 @Goro @Rapsidy. However, I am committed to doing whatever it takes to get into medical school and also prove I can do well academically. I know it may take some years but I am willing to put in the time and energy. I know that it does not look like it based off the SMP and I really should’ve started the SMP when I was 100% ready and committed to do well which I admit is my fault and I have done a whole lot of reflection since. Everything was just extremely tough with my family situation and having to support my mom and brother. Do you have any recommendations as to what is the best option for me going forward to give me the best shot at showing I can do well in medical school based on the situation I am in? Also my entire situation has been tough and if it helps I am URM, first gen, and come from a low income. I am truly just seeking help on how I can reach this goal even if the journey is long but I don’t really want to consider a plan B and just want to continue working towards this goal, however long it may take.

I understand and I appreciate the responses @Mr.Smile12 @Goro @Rapsidy. However, I am committed to doing whatever it takes to get into medical school and also prove I can do well academically. I know it may take some years but I am willing to put in the time and energy. I know that it does not look like it based off the SMP and I really should’ve started the SMP when I was 100% ready and committed to do well which I admit is my fault and I have done a whole lot of reflection since. Everything was just extremely tough with my family situation and having to support my mom and brother. Do you have any recommendations as to what is the best option for me going forward to give me the best shot at showing I can do well in medical school based on the situation I am in? Also my entire situation has been tough and if it helps I am URM, first gen, and come from a low income. I am truly just seeking help on how I can reach this goal even if the journey is long but I don’t really want to consider a plan B and just want to continue working towards this goal, however long it may take.
For starters, you should NOT do anything academic until you have your family situation under control and have no more distractions. Attempting to go on this path with one hand tied behind your back, frankly, brings your judgement into question.

I suggest that you work for a few years and save up the money so that you eventually can go do a full time DIY post-bac, or enter another SMP. I have have seen people (rarely) get into our program by aceing a second SMNP after bombing a first one.

Read this as well:

Adding to @Goro:

OP: You said you would do whatever it takes to get to medical school. Well you already have one strike against you, and in this game, sometimes one strike is all it takes though it can fade away over time. Once you get into school, it takes a lot longer plus the debt.

As a URM 1G NT, you should have at least one mentor by now. What does that person say. If you don't, you have not done everything you could to get into medical school. Would you be as willing to take their advice if they said to go to a Plan B?

Sometimes doing whatever it takes includes taking a break to pause and regroup. Forcing yourself when you are not prepared can result in mistakes. You can only avoid family issues for so long before you have to deal with it unless you are willing to do a full break.

Sometimes you have to learn to walk away, especially if you are making yourself more sick by going forward.

Last edited:
  • Love