Advice on becoming a strong applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haray07

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, a quick introduction of myself. I'm currently in my 3rd year of Neuropsychology phd program. I'm debating whether I should quit and start to prepare for med school application (i.e. take classes, MCAT, volunteering), or should I stick out and then apply? My ultimate goal is to become a neuropathologist. I have another 3 years (at least) left in my program to get the Phd. If I do plan to persist through, what preparations should I have in the meantime? It's very unlikely to take classes as my schedule is pretty much full. I'm focusing on getting some publications out. I can try to shadow some doctors at the hospital where I'm doing my practicum, but other than that, any advice in terms of preparation? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Not only do you have to shadow, you need to volunteer with patients, AND engage in service, so show off your altruism.

Keep in mind that your graduate GPAs won't count for MD schools (but will for DO).

You will need to explain in your apps why you're running TO Medicine, and not merely running away from research. Finishing your degree will prove you with career backup, and show that it's less likely that'll bail on Medicine like you bailed on your PhD.

Hi, a quick introduction of myself. I'm currently in my 3rd year of Neuropsychology phd program. I'm debating whether I should quit and start to prepare for med school application (i.e. take classes, MCAT, volunteering), or should I stick out and then apply? My ultimate goal is to become a neuropathologist. I have another 3 years (at least) left in my program to get the Phd. If I do plan to persist through, what preparations should I have in the meantime? It's very unlikely to take classes as my schedule is pretty much full. I'm focusing on getting some publications out. I can try to shadow some doctors at the hospital where I'm doing my practicum, but other than that, any advice in terms of preparation? Thank you!

Not only do you have to shadow, you need to volunteer with patients, AND engage in service, so show off your altruism.
QUOTE]

Just curious about the emphasis on shadowing so much here. Is someone who hasn't done this at greater risk of bailing than another? It seems like a lot of this is done to check a box but does it really predict success?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
We ask you to shadow so you can see what a doctor's life is like and be able to compare/contrast different approaches to Medicine.

People who haven't shadowed get rejected. It has nothing to so with success, but making sure you know what you're getting into. Too many people have a starry-eyed view of what a career in Medicine in like.

Reactions: 1 user
You will need to explain in your apps why you're running TO Medicine, and not merely running away from research. Finishing your degree will prove you with career backup, and show that it's less likely that'll bail on Medicine like you bailed on your PhD.

Agreed.

Finish out your PhD and start exposing yourself to the medical field through volunteering (ideally clinical, but non-clinical is important too) and shadowing. Your journey should make for a pretty interesting story in your personal statement.

Reactions: 1 user
I can see that. I've been thinking I shouldn't have been accepted 30 years ago as I didn't shadow didn't do research and only extracurricular if you will was working in a grocery store. I've had a couple college students shadow but their interest level was often lacking which felt like they were only doing it because it was expected. I did shadow in first year of medical school which helped regain perspective. But I don't recall that being emphasized back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ditto what Goro recommended.

I found adcoms to ask a lot about why the switch and you need a good reason why and why now and how do you know. You seriously need to make sure you've taken the premed courses, did well on MCAT, etc and that will take 1-2 yrs depending on what you have already. You also need a DO LOR. So finish your neuropsych and along the way start making yourself competitive for med school. I'd from experience recommend also taking anatomy, biochemistry, genetics, and histology as you will be expected to come in and hit the ground running in those courses.

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk