Advice on deciding on a post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3rdgenerationMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so here is the deal. I was accepted to UVM, Columbia, USC, Mills, Harvard Ext and UPENN. I am originally from the Boston area so I have pretty much eliminated USC and Mills since that would mean moving across the country. Harvard extension I am keeping in my back pocket but I think I would prefer a more structured program. So that leaves me with UVM, Columbia, and UPENN. Does anyone have an insight on these programs. I just want to attend somewhere where I will have the best chance of matriculating to med school. My parents are both doctors so I am feeling a lot of pressure and anxiety about the decision. Any advice or info would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished at Columbia. I liked it. Don't get me wrong, I almost lost my mind studying and there were plenty of moments of academic frustration, but it was definitely rewarding. I feel like I got the best possible education that I could have, and the post-bac support structure is definitely there (personal statement writing workshops, advising, etc).

If you have good undergrad statistics (3.5-3.8 uGPA) then you might be eligible for linkage depending on how you do at Columbia. I have a lot of friends that went that route, and start med school in a few months. Not sure what UVM and UPENN offer as far as linkage goes, but it's something to consider if that's a route you might want to go. Here's a link to the schools that the program has linkage agreements with, and the requirements for each, if that is something you are interested in.

http://gs.columbia.edu/postbac/linkage