advice on ECs so far

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed717

Reaction score
hi, i was hoping to get some advice on my extracurriculars so far to identify any weak points/other types of activities that I should be doing! I'm currently a 3rd year and am planning to take one gap year.

Clinical Experience
1. Currently volunteering at a cardiology clinic as a medical assistant (50 hours so far)
2. Volunteered at internal medicine clinic during summer (200 hours)
3. Board member for non-profit that hosts health fairs (lots of administrative/leadership work but still have patient interaction at events) (1000 hours so far)

Research
1. Currently in a lab doing retrospective clinical research (400 hours so far)
2. Was in a lab for ~8 months doing dry lab research, co-author paper submitted for publication (200 hours)
3. Worked for a biotech startup during my first year mainly doing literature reviews and dry lab work (200 hours)
- i also co-authored a published paper in high school but assume i wont include the activity itself in my application since it was before college

Shadowing
1. 100 hours total - 50 in ophthalmology and 50 in internal medicine (same place i volunteered at)

Other
1. TA for 1 semester in a physics class
2. Club sport for a sport i have been doing for 10+ years (assistant coach and also placed at collegiate nationals) (500 hours including just college)

So far, I know I should probably do some non-clinical volunteering, but wanted to make sure there's nothing else that I'm missing!

Members don't see this ad.

Board member for non-profit that hosts health fairs (lots of administrative/leadership work but still have patient interaction at events) (1000 hours so far)
Separate the hours between leadership and patient interaction. What were your specific patient-facing responsibilities during those health fairs?

Any community service where you are humbly serving those in distress (not as a subject matter expert or in a position of authority)?

Reactions: 4 users
Separate the hours between leadership and patient interaction. What were your specific patient-facing responsibilities during those health fairs?

Any community service where you are humbly serving those in distress (not as a subject matter expert or in a position of authority)?
patient-facing responsibilities at the health fairs include taking vitals/helping providers with the various services that we have and generally helping patients navigate the health fair

I don't have any community service like what you described, but I'll try to fulfill that with my non-clinical volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have plenty of clinical and research experience, you need to get a couple hundred hours of non clinical service - ideally working directly with underserved communities over a longer period of time, and something outside of your "comfort zone." e.g. homeless shelter, refugee service agency, domestic violence shelter, syringe exchange program, soup kitchen/food pantry, etc. A little advocacy would be a nice plus too but not required!

Reactions: 1 user