Advice on getting veneers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilith

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My dentist suggested placing veneers on my teeth. Can someone please tell me the pros and cons of getting veneers besides the fact that they are really expensive?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Lilith said:
My dentist suggested placing veneers on my teeth. Can someone please tell me the pros and cons of getting veneers besides the fact that they are really expensive?

Thanks.

Damage to virgin teeth if its purely for looks, lifetime is ~10 years. Other than that not much. I have 3 veneers.

Dr. TacoElf:

Do you like the results? Do you think the results are worth the $$$ and sacrificing your virgin teeth?

Members don't see this ad :)
If the esthetic results outweight the con of virgin tooth preparation, I think they are worth it. They are one of, if not the most conservative tooth preparation when they are done properly.

Lilith said:
Dr. TacoElf:

Do you like the results? Do you think the results are worth the $$$ and sacrificing your virgin teeth?

Well my teeth weren't really virgin, I had a sledding accident and both #8 and #9 were chipped so it was a no brainer for me. Plus I was able to get it covered as an emergency :D

DrTacoElf said:
Damage to virgin teeth if its purely for looks, lifetime is ~10 years. Other than that not much. I have 3 veneers.

Do they really only last ~10 years, then you have to get new ones? What influences how long they last?

There is no such thing as a true dental guarantee. I have seen veneers that only lasted 6 months and needed to be replaced b/c the treating dentist (at a corporate dental office) did something wrong in either bonding them or impressing them. But I have also seen great looking veneers that have been on for 20 years. So you want to make sure the dentist takes their time.

Thank you all for your responses. :)

dc-10 said:
Do they really only last ~10 years, then you have to get new ones? What influences how long they last?

If the tooth prep is done correctly only in enamel the bonding literally will not fail but in rare cases. The repairs that will be necessary will be due to porcelain fracture. If the preparation extends into dentin the bonding strength is significantly reduced.

true Dcs, I did a case where all the instructor has me do was rough up the enamel b4 etching, Pt had class 1 malocclusion and didn't want ortho. we did max centrals and laterals and it turned out great. which I took pics. too poor to buy a camera and I can't count on santa cause I'm on the naughty list

but remember,

once you've got them on, you can't go back. think about it long and hard before making a decision; you can always make a decision later.

save your virginity! until it's really the RIGHT time!

vandy_yankee said:
but remember,

once you've got them on, you can't go back. think about it long and hard before making a decision; you can always make a decision later.

save your virginity! until it's really the RIGHT time!

Bad advice! I don't think that "long and hard" and "virginity" go together :laugh:

Anyway, because veneers are technique sensitive, make sure u pick a good/experience dentist.

lnn2 said:
Bad advice! I don't think that "long and hard" and "virginity" go together :laugh:

Anyway, because veneers are technique sensitive, make sure u pick a good/experience dentist.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I guess I will wait until I start my D-1 to decide. Thank you!