Advice on how to collect recommendations from professors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ariaofthesoul

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m a recent UVA grad of ‘23 back in May and am currently taking two gap years to save up money + strengthen my application due to my low sGPA (~2.9) and GPA of (3.2).

I’m not gonna lie, I feel like one of my biggest regrets was not taking advantage during the semester to connect with my science-focused professors (such as being a TA). I've had my plate full with extracurriculars, job, and handling some pretty brutal stuff going on at home. I have a few professors on my mind to contact but for some it's been as far as years due to online learning.

Does anyone have an idea on how to start collecting professor recommendations even when I’m taking gap years and who I should be talking to?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I’m a recent UVA grad of ‘23 back in May and am currently taking two gap years to save up money + strengthen my application due to my low sGPA (~2.9) and GPA of (3.2).

I’m not gonna lie, I feel like one of my biggest regrets was not taking advantage during the semester to connect with my science-focused professors (such as being a TA). I've had my plate full with extracurriculars, job, and handling some pretty brutal stuff going on at home. I have a few professors on my mind to contact but for some it's been as far as years due to online learning.

Does anyone have an idea on how to start collecting professor recommendations even when I’m taking gap years and who I should be talking to?
You mentioned that you're working to strengthen your GPA now. Are you taking classes now? Can you create relationships with professors during your gap years so you could have a recent rec from when you're doing well?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You mentioned that you're working to strengthen your GPA now. Are you taking classes now? Can you create relationships with professors during your gap years so you could have a recent rec from when you're doing well?
Hi,

sorry for the late reply, work kept me a little busy to check. I'm not taking classes now but I'm considering the Post Bacc program at VCU to boost my GPA next fall and give me a more comprehensive review over material I might've forgotten over COVID (I'm not too confident).

I guess I'm not sure I've sustained a valuable relationship with any of my STEM professors that make me feel confident to ask, I guess it wouldn't kill me to email them. I regret how I handled a lot of things during undergrad and it kills me to be stuck in this rut.

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, work kept me a little busy to check. I'm not taking classes now but I'm considering the Post Bacc program at VCU to boost my GPA next fall and give me a more comprehensive review over material I might've forgotten over COVID (I'm not too confident).

I guess I'm not sure I've sustained a valuable relationship with any of my STEM professors that make me feel confident to ask, I guess it wouldn't kill me to email them. I regret how I handled a lot of things during undergrad and it kills me to be stuck in this rut.
Well if you do a post-bac program, it would not only strengthen your foundation in the sciences and give you an opportunity for serious GPA repair but also give you the chance to create some of those relationships and then get a meaningful and current relationship that could become strong LORs.

Good luck!