Advice on how to handle two of my patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1053216

1. Patient 1 Clinic Patient
As an intern, I am often given longer appointment times than counterpart seniors. Hence, I get a lot of "establishing care" patients. Few months back, I had a patient, who was originally seen in our clinic. However, was arrested for selling controlled substance, hx of poly substance abuse and was not able to be seen for several years. The patient reported to me a diagnosis which would require a prescription of a controlled substance. Furthermore, he wanted a brand-new prescription for a chronic problem, because his current prescription which was more than halfway filled was "old" (filled 2 months prior only). My attending refused the first request, instead gave him a referral to a specialty services that could better diagnose and treat this condition. I refused the first, because a 2 month old medication bottle, more than half way filled should not require a brand new prescription.
Anyway, I sent him with a 2 mo f/u, ordered 3 labs and gave him medication for smoking cessation as requested. Patient asked to speak with my supervisor, however, left quietly.

I was notified by the EMR of his lab results, but, I saw something weird. I saw two listings of the same lab results, done on the same day. Where I had done these three labs, there was another provider who had ordered 6 labs, 3 of which were similar. This seemed weird to me and I brought this to the attention of my clinic's charge nurse. She reported that she knew where the second provider practiced and would call and check the issue. I was then told that the patient had three to four days prior gone to another primary care physician's office, requested a medication refill/establish visit and had been granted all the medications (including the controlled substance).

My charge nurse told me she had forwarded this case to the clinic supervisor for potential discharge from our practice, the nurse informed me that she had notified the other practice about the concerning labs and had told them to f/u on them. She had also called the patient and told them to call up about next upcoming appointment with me at our clinic. At this call, she would confront the pt and then the pt. and see if he wishes to continue with us. She also recommended that I bring this to my preceptor's attention.

My preceptor recommends that I see the pt. and simply not worry about the controlled substance issue, however I should see him and f.u concerning labs. Though I agreed, however, this does not sit right with me.
1. If I call him about the lab results and so does the other practice, aren't we both treating the same condition?
2. I am trying to see the best in him and not judge or label him, but, I am scared that if he is following with both of us then isn't he getting two copies of the same meds. these aren't controlled substances, however, I am worried he might sell meds prescribed,

I spoke about this case to my father, he recommends that a bottle of 5 dollar med isn't worth disagreeing with your attending over and I shouldn't be the proverbial hero in this situation,

2. Patient 2 Inpatient , I have a smoking and Drug addict who has a PNA. Patient changes his mind on everything and if we refuse to accede to his wishes, will threaten us with leaving AMA and that I can take out my IV's and leave. Extensive workup and effort has come in from all parties (consultants) involved on this patient. Furthermore, the patient immediately needs a procedure early next week.

the main feedback I have recieved boils down to, accept his demands, because he needs the procedure now. I receive call from the patients nurse every 3-4 hours. Calls that range anywhere from patients dissatisfaction with pain management (in the last week pain mgmt has been changed 3 times). It was extensively explained by me and senior resident that 0 pain isn't possible and that increasing dose can cause side effects, minimal constipation, maximum respiratory arrest. Patient then reported he would take X-lax if needed for consitpation, but needs pain control now. Pain mgmt was adjusted again.

Over the past few days, the patient seems to have realized this capitulation on our part. He requested privileges to walk outside. At said time he smoked outside the hospital and did not pay heed to the admonitions of nursing staff. We explained to the patient that it was not correct to smoke on hospital grounds. So today he sneaked cigarettes under hand towel, stood outside of the facility, closer to the road and smoked. he furthermore, reported that me and the senior resident told him it was okay as long as it wasn't in hospital grounds. The nurse is extremely angry with us at this point and has asked to take his privileges. I promised her I would speak to him about smoking and its dangers.

I am still worried it has taken a lot to get this procedure, which will save his life. From senior attendings to residents have spoken to him about getting procedure done. for him to finally agree. However, at this point I feel like I am being held hostage by said patient, where if his requests are refused then 15-20 minutes later, I will surely get a text of his need for wanting to go AMA. I do not want a bad health outcome and I do not want to dissapoint my seniors with regards to not being able to ensure the patient's continued stay.

I do Not know what to do and find myself within a rock and a hard place. where I cannot accept his request and I cannot let him leave AMA.

Members don't see this ad.

Exactly. This is what the addicts will do: manipulate and get mad when they don't get their way, and eventually leave AMA so they can use. It's their disease and has nothing to do with you. I've seen these patients leave and bounce back, and I've also had them leave and never found out what happened. I'm sure many ultimately succumbed to either their addiction or the problem they didn't allow us to properly treat. Your job is to treat the patient, but you can't force them to accept the treatment.

My usual take on these patients is to try and talk to them when they initially threaten to leave AMA, but at a certain point it becomes a waste of time and resources. Let them leave. No one will think it is your fault. You can't save someone who doesn't want to be saved.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I commend you for your thoughtfulness in trying to do the right thing for your patients. A few suggestions:

1) Not worth fighting with your attending over. It would be helpful to ensure the other clinic is kept abreast of any changes you make to his medication regimen in the future. You should find out more about your state's prescription drug monitoring program if applicable as this could be a useful resource. Your clinic/hospital pharmacist would definitely know what steps can be taken.

Thinking about this from his perspective, he has pills to score and new clinics to hit up. His visit to you was a major waste of time. Don't be offended if he never comes back to see you. Addiction is a monster.

2) It isn't fair for this to fall onto you as the intern. W/ difficult and manipulative patients you will need to present a unified front. Talk to your team on rounds about setting hard boundaries w/ pain meds/requests and then stick to them. Involve the pain team if that service is available at your hospital. Beyond that, you've done your duty. Contrary to our current zeitgeist, I believe patients should have the autonomy to make good and bad decisions provided they are adequately informed. It seems like this patient is informed.

You may find that once you cancel the room service and put your foot down you call his bluff and he starts to behave. Or maybe not and he leaves AMA. Whatever you do just make sure you document the hell out of any conversations you have with him and ensure that he knows the may die if he leaves without this operation.

Reactions: 5 users
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Each states drug monitoring program.

This isn’t a trivial issue...some people I know and trust say you should look at the database every time before you prescribe a controlled substance (especially opiates) to avoid issues with litigation.

It’s pretty eye opening when you start using it.

Yeah, I use the drug monitoring program every single time I prescribe a controlled substance. Every. Time. I thought that was standard?

Reactions: 3 users
1. Patient 1 Clinic Patient
As an intern, I am often given longer appointment times than counterpart seniors. Hence, I get a lot of "establishing care" patients. Few months back, I had a patient, who was originally seen in our clinic. However, was arrested for selling controlled substance, hx of poly substance abuse and was not able to be seen for several years. The patient reported to me a diagnosis which would require a prescription of a controlled substance. Furthermore, he wanted a brand-new prescription for a chronic problem, because his current prescription which was more than halfway filled was "old" (filled 2 months prior only). My attending refused the first request, instead gave him a referral to a specialty services that could better diagnose and treat this condition. I refused the first, because a 2 month old medication bottle, more than half way filled should not require a brand new prescription.
Anyway, I sent him with a 2 mo f/u, ordered 3 labs and gave him medication for smoking cessation as requested. Patient asked to speak with my supervisor, however, left quietly.

I was notified by the EMR of his lab results, but, I saw something weird. I saw two listings of the same lab results, done on the same day. Where I had done these three labs, there was another provider who had ordered 6 labs, 3 of which were similar. This seemed weird to me and I brought this to the attention of my clinic's charge nurse. She reported that she knew where the second provider practiced and would call and check the issue. I was then told that the patient had three to four days prior gone to another primary care physician's office, requested a medication refill/establish visit and had been granted all the medications (including the controlled substance).

My charge nurse told me she had forwarded this case to the clinic supervisor for potential discharge from our practice, the nurse informed me that she had notified the other practice about the concerning labs and had told them to f/u on them. She had also called the patient and told them to call up about next upcoming appointment with me at our clinic. At this call, she would confront the pt and then the pt. and see if he wishes to continue with us. She also recommended that I bring this to my preceptor's attention.

My preceptor recommends that I see the pt. and simply not worry about the controlled substance issue, however I should see him and f.u concerning labs. Though I agreed, however, this does not sit right with me.
1. If I call him about the lab results and so does the other practice, aren't we both treating the same condition?
2. I am trying to see the best in him and not judge or label him, but, I am scared that if he is following with both of us then isn't he getting two copies of the same meds. these aren't controlled substances, however, I am worried he might sell meds prescribed,

I spoke about this case to my father, he recommends that a bottle of 5 dollar med isn't worth disagreeing with your attending over and I shouldn't be the proverbial hero in this situation,

2. Patient 2 Inpatient , I have a smoking and Drug addict who has a PNA. Patient changes his mind on everything and if we refuse to accede to his wishes, will threaten us with leaving AMA and that I can take out my IV's and leave. Extensive workup and effort has come in from all parties (consultants) involved on this patient. Furthermore, the patient immediately needs a procedure early next week.

the main feedback I have recieved boils down to, accept his demands, because he needs the procedure now. I receive call from the patients nurse every 3-4 hours. Calls that range anywhere from patients dissatisfaction with pain management (in the last week pain mgmt has been changed 3 times). It was extensively explained by me and senior resident that 0 pain isn't possible and that increasing dose can cause side effects, minimal constipation, maximum respiratory arrest. Patient then reported he would take X-lax if needed for consitpation, but needs pain control now. Pain mgmt was adjusted again.

Over the past few days, the patient seems to have realized this capitulation on our part. He requested privileges to walk outside. At said time he smoked outside the hospital and did not pay heed to the admonitions of nursing staff. We explained to the patient that it was not correct to smoke on hospital grounds. So today he sneaked cigarettes under hand towel, stood outside of the facility, closer to the road and smoked. he furthermore, reported that me and the senior resident told him it was okay as long as it wasn't in hospital grounds. The nurse is extremely angry with us at this point and has asked to take his privileges. I promised her I would speak to him about smoking and its dangers.

I am still worried it has taken a lot to get this procedure, which will save his life. From senior attendings to residents have spoken to him about getting procedure done. for him to finally agree. However, at this point I feel like I am being held hostage by said patient, where if his requests are refused then 15-20 minutes later, I will surely get a text of his need for wanting to go AMA. I do not want a bad health outcome and I do not want to dissapoint my seniors with regards to not being able to ensure the patient's continued stay.

I do Not know what to do and find myself within a rock and a hard place. where I cannot accept his request and I cannot let him leave AMA.

1. Follow-up with them about labs. Ask them what scripts they're getting from elsewhere. Don't prescribe something they are already getting and recommend they have only 1 PCP. Chances are they either will not see you again or they will just pick one of you.

2. You can't just acquiesce to every demand from a patient, unless it is reasonable or medically indicated. The patient is obviously splitting and it sounds like nursing staff is falling for it. Set a line and don't let it be crossed. If smoking isn't allowed, don't let him leave. If pain control is warranted provide it, but set the limits that would be appropriate for the acuity of the situation. In short, treat that patient as you would anyone else. You don't need to punish them for being manipulative or seeking pain meds, you also don't need to bend over backwards so that they comply with your plan of care.

Each states drug monitoring program.

This isn’t a trivial issue...some people I know and trust say you should look at the database every time before you prescribe a controlled substance (especially opiates) to avoid issues with litigation.

It’s pretty eye opening when you start using it.

PDMP review is required in my state with every non-short term (typically <1 week) controlled substance prescription. This is gaining a lot of traction in other states, so OP should make sure they are aware of any state-specific rules.

Yeah, I use the drug monitoring program every single time I prescribe a controlled substance. Every. Time. I thought that was standard?

State-specific, but it should be. I was so happy when PDMP got incorporated into our EMR. One click, and I'm there.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
1. I’m trying to think what condition absolutely requires a controlled substance. I’m tired from overnight and drawing a blank. That said, I don’t care who else drew labs, you set standards for double prescribing and if they break them they get cut off. You can still see them for htn. And if the condition is chronic pain or addiction? Nope, referal to pain med for transition to procedure based regimen, refer to addiction or admit yourself for detox.

2. Good consent speech and documentation that patient has capacity. Then you only order things that are appropriate. They either stay and get the procedure or they don’t. Not your moral dilema. They might ama for 10 minutes to smoke and then come back to ED. Fine. Easy h/p. Don’t give bad medical care just because they want to scream. Nope

1. I’m trying to think what condition absolutely requires a controlled substance. I’m tired from overnight and drawing a blank. That said, I don’t care who else drew labs, you set standards for double prescribing and if they break them they get cut off. You can still see them for htn. And if the condition is chronic pain or addiction? Nope, referal to pain med for transition to procedure based regimen, refer to addiction or admit yourself for detox.

Male hypogonadism. Or Transmasculine hormonal therapy. Testosterone is a controlled substance. Literally the only one I prescribe, but one none-the-less.

I mean, I suppose those conditions don't *absolutely* require a controlled substance, but it's not good for the health of the hypogonad male to not get testosterone replacement, and we treat trans people medically, so...

Reactions: 1 user
Male hypogonadism. Or Transmasculine hormonal therapy. Testosterone is a controlled substance. Literally the only one I prescribe, but one none-the-less.

I mean, I suppose those conditions don't *absolutely* require a controlled substance, but it's not good for the health of the hypogonad male to not get testosterone replacement, and we treat trans people medically, so...
Good points, i hear controls and my mind drifts to narcotics and benzos

Good points, i hear controls and my mind drifts to narcotics and benzos
One could argue someone on chronic benzos needs a prescription for them to stave off life threatening withdrawal?

One could argue someone on chronic benzos needs a prescription for them to stave off life threatening withdrawal?
Nah, they can always go to the er and get their withdrawal treated (not the ideal way to go about it, but not a reason to give in to someone you think is just seeking)

Reactions: 3 users
OP, I am not sure if you are actually wanting advice with a plan to follow it, or just for curiosity or for future reference. Because it sounds like you got explicit instructions on how to proceed with both. Going against those is an excellent way of landing yourself in trouble. If on the other had you are looking for ways other people do it for future reference or to see if you should get someone else involved at your program that is a different story (though neither case seems like one you need to start trying to go over anybody's head for)

OP, I am not sure if you are actually wanting advice with a plan to follow it, or just for curiosity or for future reference. Because it sounds like you got explicit instructions on how to proceed with both. Going against those is an excellent way of landing yourself in trouble. If on the other had you are looking for ways other people do it for future reference or to see if you should get someone else involved at your program that is a different story (though neither case seems like one you need to start trying to go over anybody's head for)

Yeah... this is pretty much what I was going to say. Both are not worth fighting over. Different attendings and seniors will have different levels of tolerance for both situations. For 1, the only thing I would add is you can call the pharmacy to check if he would actually need a refill. For 2, definitely not ideal, and you can suggest things like consulting the pain team on rounds but my advice would be to try to disconnect and not take it personally. If your attending wants to be permissive with the patient then that’s how it’s gonna be and you can just learn about a management style you do or don’t like. Maybe invite the nurse to rounds if that’s done at your hospital? Sometimes having the nurse directly advocate for their concerns can be helpful.

Nah, they can always go to the er and get their withdrawal treated (not the ideal way to go about it, but not a reason to give in to someone you think is just seeking)
So, on the one hand I hear you. But on the other hand, if a patient has documented chronic benzo use they should be prescribed benzos and recommended to a rehab. An ED is not a way to prophylactically treat benzo withdrawal.

So, on the one hand I hear you. But on the other hand, if a patient has documented chronic benzo use they should be prescribed benzos and recommended to a rehab. An ED is not a way to prophylactically treat benzo withdrawal.
If you saw a new patient claiming they are about to run out of their benzo that is poorly or not indicated you are going to write for some more and recommend rehab? If so what do you do when they are about to run out of that script and didn't taper or do rehab?

Reactions: 1 users
If you saw a new patient claiming they are about to run out of their benzo that is poorly or not indicated you are going to write for some more and recommend rehab? If so what do you do when they are about to run out of that script and didn't taper or do rehab?

So I was answering the hypothetical of when would one write a controlled script, not this specific case. Though in thinking about it, wouldn't the right approach be short duration scripts with frequent follow-ups to taper? This patient sounds squirrely to be sure but a 2 week supply with a follow up seems to give the patient the benefit of the doubt without overextending the doc. Establish a contract moving forward for when certain amounts will be filled and holding to that, with ED precautions for withdrawing. Seems more patient centered than to just have them go to the ED if they think they're withdrawing. Particularly because if they are on chronic benzos their withdrawal could mean death.

I also think that if someone's prior PCP started them on xanax for anxiety 25 years ago it isn't the patient's fault they got put on a bad drug. Again, I know I'm abstracting from the presented patient but thinking about conditions that might need a controlled substance.

So I was answering the hypothetical of when would one write a controlled script, not this specific case. Though in thinking about it, wouldn't the right approach be short duration scripts with frequent follow-ups to taper? This patient sounds squirrely to be sure but a 2 week supply with a follow up seems to give the patient the benefit of the doubt without overextending the doc. Establish a contract moving forward for when certain amounts will be filled and holding to that, with ED precautions for withdrawing. Seems more patient centered than to just have them go to the ED if they think they're withdrawing. Particularly because if they are on chronic benzos their withdrawal could mean death.

I also think that if someone's prior PCP started them on xanax for anxiety 25 years ago it isn't the patient's fault they got put on a bad drug. Again, I know I'm abstracting from the presented patient but thinking about conditions that might need a controlled substance.

If you're going back to the OP's case then I would definitely not want to refill the benzos. He appears to be doctor shopping after burning through his supply from the other provider. It would be most appropriate to get him to contact whoever prescribed him the initial benzos if he thinks he needs more. These kinds of patients exploit the fact that it's always more expedient for a busy doc to write a prescription than have an unpleasant confrontation. I refuse to play along.

Reactions: 4 users

The ED can manage a fast withdrawal better than a pcp.

no doc is obligated to start writing controls for a patient that it’s not appropriate for

The ED can manage a fast withdrawal better than a pcp.

no doc is obligated to start writing controls for a patient that it’s not appropriate for
I can? No, I can't. I'm not trained to, and it's not in my wheelhouse.

I can treat symptoms, but I can't detox a pt. There's no shortcut to a taper.

I can? No, I can't. I'm not trained to, and it's not in my wheelhouse.

I can treat symptoms, but I can't detox a pt. There's no shortcut to a taper.
I’m talking about withdrawl, and they can get an admit for it. The outpatient folks shouldn’t feel they have to start wading into a bad prescription. “This is not appropriate, I’m not writing this med. As you can die during acute withdrawal I suggest you go to the ED if you don’t find another doctor to write these or a detox facility to take you and withdrawl symptoms start”

...no doc is obligated to start writing controls for a patient that it’s not appropriate for

You are not obliged, but that doesn't mean its good medicine to not do so. Every doctor has the right to not provide a certain treatment, but benzo withdrawal is potentially life threatening and seizures can occur quite quickly after discontinuation.

Sure, the situation in the OP sounds sketchy, and I likely wouldn't prescribe if I saw multiple recent prescribers on the PDMP, but there are plenty of situations where managing a benzo taper is well within the responsibility/wheelhouse of the PCP. You're telling me if you see a PDMP report where a patient is getting Xanax TID consistently for a few years, you're not going to convert to something like Klonopin and manage a taper? Are you also going to tell your patient with AUD that has been drinking a 12-pack a day for 20 yrs to just quit drinking cold turkey? Or are you literally sending everyone like that to the ED?

I know this isn't the exact situation OP was talking about, but there are situations where a benzo script is necessary, and its very common for PCPs to manage tapers, because they are often the ones seeing the patient the most. If someone's not comfortable with doing it, they need to at least refer them to someone who is.

You are not obliged, but that doesn't mean its good medicine to not do so. Every doctor has the right to not provide a certain treatment, but benzo withdrawal is potentially life threatening and seizures can occur quite quickly after discontinuation.

Sure, the situation in the OP sounds sketchy, and I likely wouldn't prescribe if I saw multiple recent prescribers on the PDMP, but there are plenty of situations where managing a benzo taper is well within the responsibility/wheelhouse of the PCP. You're telling me if you see a PDMP report where a patient is getting Xanax TID consistently for a few years, you're not going to convert to something like Klonopin and manage a taper? Are you also going to tell your patient with AUD that has been drinking a 12-pack a day for 20 yrs to just quit drinking cold turkey? Or are you literally sending everyone like that to the ED?

I know this isn't the exact situation OP was talking about, but there are situations where a benzo script is necessary, and its very common for PCPs to manage tapers, because they are often the ones seeing the patient the most. If someone's not comfortable with doing it, they need to at least refer them to someone who is.
Only if they want to quit

Only if they want to quit

I've had very few people take me up on the actual go to the ED to detox off alcohol. 1/10 maybe. I've had 3-4/10 actually gradually reduce their drinking. The other 5-6/10 continue drinking just as much. The point is, I talked to all of those people about the safe way to do it, and not to just quit because alcohol is not indicated.

This occurs all the time in psychiatry. "I just need you to renew my benzo script" or "My PCP won't renew my meds unless a psychiatrist says it's ok."

First, I am plain there is no doctor-patient relationship unless we agree 100% on my A&P. I don't take prescribing lightly because in a non-ED, non-hospital setting, I am fully liable as having taken over their script, their diagnosis and treatment, and any other consequence that flows from it, including overdose and death. There is no such thing as prescribing a few pills. Your name on the script, your name on the lawsuit.

Second, my plan is usually a scheduled benzo taper to zero (or their choice of rapid inpatient detox) and a requirement of weekly hour long therapy for the underlying psychiatric condition that required temporary benzos and for the ensuing benzo dependence. If they do not agree, I fare them well. Any impending withdrawal is their and their prescribing doctor's problem. I provide info on inpatient detox, life threatening risks of withdrawal and need to go to the ED.

I don't know how long your visits are (new psych evals are usually 45-60 minutes, sometimes 90 minutes), but it is folly to think you can, should, or need to prescribe controlled substances after a typical new office visit that is shorter than a Burger King drive through at lunchtime. (I discover new things about my patients all the time, and I see them for longer and more frequently. They tell me things they don't tell their friends or family, and yet my chance of predicting whether they will commit suicide or homicide is statistically only slightly better than chance.)

If they agree with my plan, I discuss additional requirements, with the understanding that any deviation means discharge. I view medicine as a profession where I use professional judgment to render professional advice. If they do not wish to follow my advice, I am of no use, and they should see someone with a script pad who is willing to trade scripts for money.

Reactions: 7 users
This occurs all the time in psychiatry. "I just need you to renew my benzo script" or "My PCP won't renew my meds unless a psychiatrist says it's ok."

First, I am plain there is no doctor-patient relationship unless we agree 100% on my A&P. I don't take prescribing lightly because in a non-ED, non-hospital setting, I am fully liable as having taken over their script, their diagnosis and treatment, and any other consequence that flows from it, including overdose and death. There is no such thing as prescribing a few pills. Your name on the script, your name on the lawsuit.

Second, my plan is usually a scheduled benzo taper to zero (or their choice of rapid inpatient detox) and a requirement of weekly hour long therapy for the underlying psychiatric condition that required temporary benzos and for the ensuing benzo dependence. If they do not agree, I fare them well. Any impending withdrawal is their and their prescribing doctor's problem. I provide info on inpatient detox, life threatening risks of withdrawal and need to go to the ED.

I don't know how long your visits are (new psych evals are usually 45-60 minutes, sometimes 90 minutes), but it is folly to think you can, should, or need to prescribe controlled substances after a typical new office visit that is shorter than a Burger King drive through at lunchtime. (I discover new things about my patients all the time, and I see them for longer and more frequently. They tell me things they don't tell their friends or family, and yet my chance of predicting whether they will commit suicide or homicide is statistically only slightly better than chance.)

If they agree with my plan, I discuss additional requirements, with the understanding that any deviation means discharge. I view medicine as a profession where I use professional judgment to render professional advice. If they do not wish to follow my advice, I am of no use, and they should see someone with a script pad who is willing to trade scripts for money.

The more I read these posts, the more I don’t think any of us are necessarily saying something different than each other. The issue is with extremes and black and white rules. The point I was trying to make is that having a rule of "I will never prescribe benzos" can be as problematic as "I will always take over a benzo script". There's gray in there, and it'll vary a lot depending on your resources, the other access and resources in your area, the patient, etc.

Reactions: 1 users

I'm glad to hear it! This all sounds completely reasonable to me. Again, I was just hypothesizing on when a benzo might need to be prescribed. I'm an EM resident and have seen too many withdrawal seizures (and have discharged alcoholics with 2 days of librium-after checking PDMP- to help them find a rehab place. Maybe I'm a sucker).