Advice on letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowhusky92

Reaction score
Hi All.
I graduated school in May 2018, just recently took my MCAT in the summer and did well. I will be applying for medical school next june, meaning i will have been out of school for at least 2 years. My issue is with obtaining letters of recommendation from my professors. I did well in school (3.85 GPA), however I never really socialized with my professors or did extra curiculars at school.

I recently emailed a professor asking if they had time to meet for coffee to discuss my application, and although I know there busy with finals/holidays, they said they would not have time to meet with me at all. Other emails i've sent have gone unanswered. Has anyone else had difficulty finding professors to write letters after being out of school, or does anyone have advice?

I am worried that if I do not discuss getting letters early, that I won't have anyone to write them when june comes and it will be too late for me to go back and take classes to obtain the letters. However, I do not want to waste time and money going back to school next semester if it is not necessary, as I'm already comfortable with my GPA. Will schools accept letters of rec from a community college if I decided to do that next semester? Advice is desperately needed.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you been employed since graduating? Some (not all) schools will allow nontraditional applicants to substitute supervisor letters for faculty LORs - but you need to check the schools' individual websites to be sure.

Are there any alumni events coming up where you can reconnect with your former science professors?

You're going to have to be really proactive about this since it's been awhile since you've graduated. It's also a really busy time for everyone, so I'm not surprised you haven't gotten good responses. Try emailing again after the holidays, and make sure you're very clear about what you're attempting and what you're asking of them - send a copy of your CV and remind them about any particular successes/achievements you've had in their classes to jog their memories.