Advice on LoR situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loveoforganic

-Account Deactivated-
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have in mind a few people I can potentially ask for LoRs

1) Chem PI
2) Psych PI
3) Any one of my science professors really (other than bio)
4) Occupational therapist I volunteered with in a psychiatric hospital
5) Group leader for a job I had for two summers

My situation is that I'll be needing letters for both med school apps and for applying for teaching jobs for a gap year (specifically, for high school chemistry). So anyway, med schools require the two science, one other typically. As I don't really think it's appropriate to ask anyone for two letters (or is it? if they're just going to need to be tailored slightly differently?), I was thinking

Med school

1&2) Both PI's, one of whom would also count as a science letter.
3) Another science professor.
4) Would the psych PI count as "other?" If not, I'm thinking I'd choose the OT (volunteering in a clinical setting, hands on work with kids)
Edit: 5) Also have a committee letter

Teaching

1) Leaves me only with my group leader from the two summers of work (doing hurricane recovery stuff in LA). Coincidently, this is also the person I'd feel most comfortable asking to make a revision of the letter to fit both applications. Maybe I should ask the OT for a LoR for teaching and the group leader for both. That way I'd end up with two for the teaching application and four for med school (but would be leaving out the clinical experience letter).

Just looking for some opinions, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd also like to hear the answer to this.

(btw what does PI stand for?)

principal investigator - generally the professor in charge of your research group