Advice on (possible) retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erythrocyte666

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took today's exam, don't feel great about it. PS and BS are always my saving grace but definitely threw me off today, but VR didn't feel that bad.
I'm definitely consider retaking in Jan. but I doubt I'd find the time or motivation over next month to do MCAT-specific study. So can you advise if my plan is viable for potential improvement?
I'd sign up for the Jan. 15 or Jan. 23 spots to give me 1.5-2 months for full-on study after receiving my scores in late November. Till then, I'll start doing timed verbal-style reading of magazine/journal articles almost everyday since I've struggled the most with VR. Occasionally, I'll watch the khan academy videos in the sciences to keep the content fresh. I feel these are both good habits to make in the long-term, so why not? After receiving my scores, for the first half I can do any Bio passages I have remaining in TBR, TPR, and EK1001; at the same time, I can do daily VR practice with 3-4 passages. Every week I can do a new Kaplan FL (I have the old versions), the free TPR test, and the free GS test; every week I can also retake an AAMC FL. I'll emphasize Bio and VR since those seem my weakest sections. In winter break I can add in TBR practice (that I haven't entirely finished) in OC, GC, and physics. In the beginning of winter break I can redo the AAMC SAs for Bio and VR.
Lastly, are there ANY practice tests (apart from AAMCs) out there that resemble the Biology and VR passages of the AAMC? I feel like the 9 TPR and 4 Kaplan FLs I did gave me hollow confidence in Bio and I had to consequently readjust my strategy when doing AAMC FLs.

Members don't see this ad.

First, calm down a bit. There certainly are people that have felt horrible after leaving the exam and their feelings were correct. But, there are certainly people on the other end of the spectrum (like myself) that felt horrible after leaving the exam and actually did as good as they usually do or better. It is definitely possible that you will fall into the latter category.

That being said, I don't think its terrible that you have a backup plan in case you are part of the former. Your plan sounds fine, but I personally would focus on keeping my strengths fresh in my mind while using most of my time studying for topics that I felt weakest on.

On your final question, I didn't take anything other than the AAMCs for practice, so I have no definitive answer for that. I can say that others have said that TBR tests are the best after the AAMCs, but nothing really mimics/resembles the AAMCs very well.

Best of luck

there arent even any spots open for the old mcat soo...

Members don't see this ad :)
First, calm down a bit. There certainly are people that have felt horrible after leaving the exam and their feelings were correct. But, there are certainly people on the other end of the spectrum (like myself) that felt horrible after leaving the exam and actually did as good as they usually do or better. It is definitely possible that you will fall into the latter category.

That being said, I don't think its terrible that you have a backup plan in case you are part of the former. Your plan sounds fine, but I personally would focus on keeping my strengths fresh in my mind while using most of my time studying for topics that I felt weakest on.

On your final question, I didn't take anything other than the AAMCs for practice, so I have no definitive answer for that. I can say that others have said that TBR tests are the best after the AAMCs, but nothing really mimics/resembles the AAMCs very well.

Best of luck

Thanks for the response.
But do you think my strategy for improving verbal by daily reading outside materials (I won't have motivation to do passages) work to raise it for the possible retake?
In terms of content, I have felt pretty strong about all the sciences (averaged 87-96% on TBR OC, GC, and Physics; and 90-94% on the science AAMC SAs); what I most struggle in is Verbal and the verbal-style text-heavy passages in BS because my reading ability just goes out the window under a ticking timer.
Also, do you think TBR FLs mimic the real Bio the most accurately - as in deciphering hidden info from convoluted passages?
I just don't wanna get my scores back in late Nov. and regret not having done anything effective for the potential retake.

I honestly don't know if that strategy will work to increase your verbal. Verbal tests how well you can understand what you read as well as "feel" what you read. I don't know if simply reading outside material for a couple months will help you develop these skills since you are not being tested on anything. Longer periods of reading? Maybe. But probably not two months.

If verbal and reading skills are dragging you down the most then muster up the motivation to practice more VR passages and modify your approach/strategy since your current one hasn't worked so far.

Also, if you do bad on the BS due to times conditions, then practice BS passages under timed conditions until you are comfortable with it and until you don't give too much thought to your timing.

Posted using SDN Mobile