advice on prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckley

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Any advice for IM prelim?

-Ive read that you should apply to noncompetitive programs but if you are applying to some neuro programs which are competitive, won't they ask you why you're not applying to their IM programs?
-I'm actually a little scared of this because I wonder what would happen if I matched in neuro but did not get any prelim post...

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to both the program's IM and some cush prelim positions. Then when you interview there is no potential problem and you have some time to decide what you want.

I personally chose to go to the more rigorous IM year at the program I matched for an advanced position with a justification that it would be better preparation for neuro, which so far seems like the best choice of the two.

I feel like I get to know the medicine residents who will be consulting me in the future and visa versa as well as all the crazy medicine problems which have nerologic sequelae only seen at major academic centers.

Maybe in about 6 months Ill feel otherwise after hem-onc and CICU months.

Try for programs that are associated with the neurology programs you apply to, it often makes the PGY 1 to 2 transition easier, and gives you some advantages when it comes to consults, as the previous poster mentioned. It also makes your life easier when if you don't have to move twice, learn new systems for different hospitals, or try to figure out how to get things done. Finally, a quality, relatively relaxed quality university based prelim IM will definitely make you a better neurologist and consultant. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the tips! I was contemplating applying to the smaller lesser known IM programs because I was afraid I would not be getting any slots for the university based ones as I know these are very competitive. It woud be a dream to match in the same institution for IM and neuro just so there would be less adjustment and you know the system already when you enter neuro. So I guess from your statements, it is possible :) I wish there are more integrated programs out there...

I actually want a pretty heavy internship year (may I not regret this statement!) because I want to get the most IM training as possible--since I'm only doing it for a year and it's neuro after that.

The only thing I'd add to this thread is that if you are a West Coaster trying to stay in one of the cities (i.e. Bay Area, L.A., San Diego, Portland, Seattle), be careful. Preliminary medicine positions on the west coast are extremely competitive. Do NOT expect to get interviews at them. Your luck might be better at lesser known or non-coastal parts of the west coast (i.e. Inland Empire/Central Valley of California, Eastern Washington, Idaho), but it isn't wise to assume you can snag something in the big cities. Yeah, it's a pain, especially since many of the West Coast neuro programs don't guarantee a prelim spot. But you really don't want to be that someone who matches into neuro but has to scramble into a prelim. And out there, that's not that uncommon.

It's not to say it's impossible, but remember: you're competing against the Derm, Anesthesia and Radiology people from UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, UCSD, UW, OHSU, and all the people in the rest of the country that apply to their local area + West Coast cities. So have some backups planned.

If a program is categorical would one still need to apply for an IM-prelim spot--even though it is already guaranteed? Thanks

What I know is that it depends. SOme have guaranteed slots but you still have to apply for formality to their IM program. Others have it as a "true" integrated program.

If the program is categorical, it is by definition integrated and you have matched the full 1+3 residency. You will be able to verify that a program is categorical when you make your match list, which distinguishes between categoricals and advanced, and on ERAS when you apply, since programs are identified as categorical, advanced, or both.

If the program is categorical, it is by definition integrated and you have matched the full 1+3 residency. You will be able to verify that a program is categorical when you make your match list, which distinguishes between categoricals and advanced, and on ERAS when you apply, since programs are identified as categorical, advanced, or both.

I noticed some programs have both categorical and advanced positions...is it reccommeded to apply for both to increase ones chances of acceptance into a particular program? Thanks

I noticed some programs have both categorical and advanced positions...is it reccommeded to apply for both to increase ones chances of acceptance into a particular program? Thanks
Mayo is like that, and they have it that way because some people prefer to do their intern year elsewhere and some prefer to do it at Mayo. If you don't mind either way, then you should apply to both, and rank whichever you like better first. It does increase your chance of acceptance to apply to both, since ERAS treats them as being two separate residency programs. You can even rank one #1 and one #10, if you wish. You may want to, if where you do your intern year is that important to you.

QUOTE=Sir Elroy;5524739]Mayo is like that, and they have it that way because some people prefer to do their intern year elsewhere and some prefer to do it at Mayo. If you don't mind either way, then you should apply to both, and rank whichever you like better first. It does increase your chance of acceptance to apply to both, since ERAS treats them as being two separate residency programs. You can even rank one #1 and one #10, if you wish. You may want to, if where you do your intern year is that important to you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response! Great Thread!:thumbup:

Do most neurology programs accept transitional year for PGY-1 or do we all have to do a medicine prelim?

All Neurology programs accept board-approved internships. This is regardless of what they are called. Not all transitional years satisfy this requirement.

What have you guys done about letters, and personal statements for prelim years? My program director says not to worry about finding different letters or writing another personal statement, but the medicine people seem to disagree....