Advice on residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crystal8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm just about done interviewing and have narrowed my programs down to 10 I'll rank. In no particular order:
Mayo, Rush, Baylor, UW Madison, Indiana Univ., Case Western University Hospital, UMDNJ-Piscataway/New Brunswick, Temple, Henry Ford, UConn.

I'm not tied or partial to a particular geographic area and would want to apply for CAP fellowships. I'd also like have the option of participating in clinical research and could see myself getting into leadership roles within the psychiatry community (ie-maybe through administration or I'd love to one day apply for the APA Psychiatric Leadership Fellowship and have a decent shot).

I truly liked the people I met at each of these programs and feel each of them have unique features. I'd really appreciate any thoughts or insight into any of these programs! (I plan on doing a second look at what will be my top 3-5, but just wanted some extra input from y'all).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I'm just about done interviewing and have narrowed my programs down to 10 I'll rank. In no particular order:
Mayo, Rush, Baylor, UW Madison, Indiana Univ., Case Western University Hospital, UMDNJ-Piscataway/New Brunswick, Temple, Henry Ford, UConn.

I'm not tied or partial to a particular geographic area and would want to apply for CAP fellowships. I'd also like have the option of participating in clinical research and could see myself getting into leadership roles within the psychiatry community (ie-maybe through administration or I'd love to one day apply for the APA Psychiatric Leadership Fellowship and have a decent shot).

I truly liked the people I met at each of these programs and feel each of them have unique features. I'd really appreciate any thoughts or insight into any of these programs! (I plan on doing a second look at what will be my top 3-5, but just wanted some extra input from y'all).

Thanks!

It may help others give you feedback if they know why you liked these programs.

I saw your post in the General forum. I'm wondering why you deliberately avoided programs in NYC, some of which are considered some of the best programs in the country and likely would give you an edge in terms of securing a career in administration/leadership.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sluox: I actually did apply to programs in NYC, for the reasons you mentioned: they are amongst the best in the country and would give me an edge in terms of securing a position in administration/leadership. But, I actually didn't get interviews at those programs most likely because they're 1) in NYC, making things more competitive in and of itself and 2) because they're amongst the best in the country.

Atsai3:
Good point. Here are some of the main reasons why I liked the aforementioned programs :
1. On-going clinical research in which residents can, but are not required, to participate
2. Most of multiple sites in which to train offering great exposure to a variety of patient populations and additional, concentrated exposure to particular sub-specialties of psychiatry
3. Most of them allow residents the chance to short-track in CAP. If they don't have a CAP fellowship their residents have gone on to train at great institutions.
4. Some offer specific tracks (research, leadership, education) allowing residents to begin tailoring their 4 years to their interests
5. At each program, the resident and faculty relationship and environment was very comfortable, congenial and the dynamic was great. I really liked the residents at these programs and could see myself fitting in well at them.
6. I would happy living in any of the aforementioned cities (yes, even Rochester...Detroit may be hard, though)
7. All these programs have at least 6 residents per class (anything less is too small to me)
8. Most are university associated, which was an important to me
9. Broad and solid exposure to multiple psychiatric sub-specialties
10. Most have a strong psychotherapy foundation. I'm not sure I'll practice psychotherapy, but I think it's necessary to learn well in residency.

I realize that some of these programs fit these reasons more or less than the others, but in general, these are the features I found most important when I was deciding which programs to seriously consider and rank. I do have a slightly stronger predilection toward Mayo, Rush, Baylor, UW Madison, Indiana Univ. since I think they are best suited to offer me the experience I'm looking for. Like I said, though, this is not necessarily set in stone and my ROL may very well change by the time I certify in Feb.

I didn't know that you were looking at Henry Ford as well. Having rotated there back when I was a student, I'd say that Henry Ford is a pretty solid program too even though it doesn't have "the name" of a place like Mayo. As you probably already know, they have a "leadership track" at Ford: http://www.henryford.com/body_program.cfm?id=49695

I felt the clinical experience there is good. You see a nice mixture of things since the Detroit area is so ethnically diverse, with the extremes of both rich and poor in close proximity. It's not really known for research, but when I was there the Chairman did say that the opportunities were there if you wanted them. The PD is very resident-friendly and genuinely a very nice person from what I experienced (don't underestimate the importance of having a PD who is a pleasant person - it makes resident life easier).
Living in Detroit's city limits is definitely not something I would recommend, but there are a number of nearby suburbs within an easy commute that are safe, pleasant, and have good amenities. A lot of the residents live in nearby Ferndale, Royal Oak or one of the Grosse Pointes.

I want to give the advice of not putting too much stock into ranking programs in relation to going into Child. A huge number of residents who thought they would go on to do CAP will switch gears by the end of PGY-3 I hear. Instead I would try to nail down which programs would provide the most well rounded experience and will include a strong child program-that is actually AVAILABLE to general residents ( I dont feel like my home program is very crossoverish when it comes to providing decent child experience, but nonetheless our actual Child Program seems to be pretty strong and has many great fellows-for example).

To the smarter (more experienced) people, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I want to give the advice of not putting too much stock into ranking programs in relation to going into Child. A huge number of residents who thought they would go on to do CAP will switch gears by the end of PGY-3 I hear. Instead I would try to nail down which programs would provide the most well rounded experience and will include a strong child program-that is actually AVAILABLE to general residents ( I dont feel like my home program is very crossoverish when it comes to providing decent child experience, but nonetheless our actual Child Program seems to be pretty strong and has many great fellows-for example).

To the smarter (more experienced) people, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree. And I'm a firm believer that a good child psychiatrist is first and foremost a good general psychiatrist. Just as a good psychiatrist Should be first and foremost a good physician.

I agree. And I'm a firm believer that a good child psychiatrist is first and foremost a good general psychiatrist. Just as a good psychiatrist Should be first and foremost a good physician.

Agree with the above. Quality of the child fellowship shouldn't drive your choice of adult residency. Of the people I know who went into residency intending to go into child, maybe 25% of them actually followed through.

That makes sense in many ways, but practically speaking, some folks just don't want to have to move again if they don't have to, and that's a perfectly reasonable factor to consider.