Advice on Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cristinayanginthemaking

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know people say they take advantage of working in a hospital by asking to shadow the doctors but how do I actually go about that. I work registration in the ER and I mostly interact with the nurses not the doctors. Do I just email them, introduce myself with my job title and ask to shadow them? Or go up to them while in the hospital? This may be dumb but I’m genuinely asking lol

Members don't see this ad.

I also had an ER-related position and I both talked to my management as well as the more senior nurses about my interests in physician shadowing and they made the introduction for me. Additionally, being sort of a coworker at the same place, you may find them to be more receptive to you making an introduction yourself, provided it's done in a professional manner. I would always make sure you send an email, even if they agree in person just to keep a record to help them remember as they can be quite busy.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I also had an ER-related position and I both talked to my management as well as the more senior nurses about my interests in physician shadowing and they made the introduction for me. Additionally, being sort of a coworker at the same place, you may find them to be more receptive to you making an introduction yourself, provided it's done in a professional manner. I would always make sure you send an email, even if they agree in person just to keep a record to help them remember as they can be quite busy.
I agree with this, I've had nurses introduce me to techs/sitters who are interested in medicine / wanted someone to shadow. Another asked for a family friend's child, etc. Don't be afraid to use your connections when you are working in healthcare! Already having hospital privileges also gets rid of one potential major shadowing barrier. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with this, I've had nurses introduce me to techs/sitters who are interested in medicine / wanted someone to shadow. Another asked for a family friend's child, etc. Don't be afraid to use your connections when you are working in healthcare! Already having hospital privileges also gets rid of one potential major shadowing barrier. Just my thoughts.
People you know who know doctors is literally everything OP. And if you work in a hospital, you're bound to have friends who know docs. But I wouldn't just cold approach docs in the hallway haha

Reactions: 1 user