Advice On Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I'm in my first year at a community college. I've been able to figure out most of the stuff I need to do as a pre-dental student. However, I have no idea how to really start shadowing. I have a few local dentists in mind that I'm hoping to ask. I don't know the best way to ask them. I understand they are professionals with their own schedules, so I want to be able to show them that I'm worth the time. So what's the best way to ask for shadowing? How can I show them that I am worth the time?

Members don't see this ad.

Solution
I'd just go to the clinic and ask to speak to either the dentist or the manager. Usually you just let them know that you're a pre-dental student and ask if it would be okay to come shadow their doctors. Give them your contact information, wait to follow up.

To show them you're "worth the time", I would suggest you come ready and prepared, willing to learn and watch. Showing interest in procedures, asking questions, and being professional will show that you are passionate. Usually I would ask the dentist about the procedure after it was complete and asked for their advice on applications. As long as you show up ready to go with a good attitude and being willing to work with them that should be plenty for showing you're worth the time.
I'd just go to the clinic and ask to speak to either the dentist or the manager. Usually you just let them know that you're a pre-dental student and ask if it would be okay to come shadow their doctors. Give them your contact information, wait to follow up.

To show them you're "worth the time", I would suggest you come ready and prepared, willing to learn and watch. Showing interest in procedures, asking questions, and being professional will show that you are passionate. Usually I would ask the dentist about the procedure after it was complete and asked for their advice on applications. As long as you show up ready to go with a good attitude and being willing to work with them that should be plenty for showing you're worth the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Solution

Thank you.