Advice on studying for organic chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrganoMetallic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently a post-bac student at HES taking organic chemistry. I studied the liberal arts in college and graduated with honors but I am getting rocked in Organic Chemistry and am looking for some advice on how to improve my study strategies. So far, I have been attending each lecture and review session, completing practice problems, and reviewing the p-sets. The p-sets have been going fine, but when it comes to the exam and I do not have my notes, I find myself freezing. The first exam wasn't terrible (C+) but I have a feeling the second exam was not much better. Anyone have any strategies that helped them prepare for exams?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am currently a post-bac student at HES taking organic chemistry. I studied the liberal arts in college and graduated with honors but I am getting rocked in Organic Chemistry and am looking for some advice on how to improve my study strategies. So far, I have been attending each lecture and review session, completing practice problems, and reviewing the p-sets. The p-sets have been going fine, but when it comes to the exam and I do not have my notes, I find myself freezing. The first exam wasn't terrible (C+) but I have a feeling the second exam was not much better. Anyone have any strategies that helped them prepare for exams?

You should get the Klein textbook and solutions manual and use that. The difference between Klein's book and the book my professor followed was night and day. Klein's book made ochem interesting and understandable, and resulted in me getting a relatively stress free A. For the few weeks I was using the official course textbook, it was a real struggle.

Klein's second language book is also excellent and I had it as well. But if you're only going to get one, get his full textbook.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should get the Klein textbook and solutions manual and use that. The difference between Klein's book and the book my professor followed was night and day. Klein's book made ochem interesting and understandable, and resulted in me getting a relatively stress free A. For the few weeks I was using the official course textbook, it was a real struggle.

Klein's second language book is also excellent and I had it as well. But if you're only going to get one, get his full textbook.

Thank you for the tip, I'll take a look at the books.

+1 on klein. I only use that.

also suggest the website leah4sci.com ; her videos are high yield.

also, growth mindset really helps me. I look at an overwhelming topical coverage for an exam then take a breath, tell myself i'm awesome and smart af, and start putting in the work to prove it to myself/prof.

Reactions: 1 users
Question. If I read Organic chemistry I as a second language and watch leah4sci, would that be enough brush up for Organic chemistry II? I am going to retake Organic Chemistry II next semester and it has been a while since I have seen the material.

I got a B in O Chem I (could have had an A but I messed up on the first exam). O Chem II I received a C because I forget all of the fundamental rules from O Chem I. This was 5 yrs ago so I am kinda nervous about Revisiting O Chem II.

Question. If I read Organic chemistry I as a second language and watch leah4sci, would that be enough brush up for Organic chemistry II? I am going to retake Organic Chemistry II next semester and it has been a while since I have seen the material.

I got a B in O Chem I (could have had an A but I messed up on the first exam). O Chem II I received a C because I forget all of the fundamental rules from O Chem I. This was 5 yrs ago so I am kinda nervous about Revisiting O Chem II.
I dont see why not

Hi all,

Please please please buy Organic Chemistry as a second language. I got A's in both I and II with this book and my blessed teacher who knows how to teach organic. I'm doing my post back, I attempted ochem in my previous school. Believe me I thought I would never be able to do ochem. But Klein and my teacher were God sent. Buy the book before it's too late. I regretted not buying it early. Getting one letter grader lower would make you sit lower than another applicant. Spend money now to save your future. But don't forget to study, you need to study ochem everyday to do well.

A simple strategy would be repetition. You draw mechanisms, reactions, and synthesis until they get engraved into your brain. It may take 4,5,6, or 7 repetitions but you do them until you can write them out like you write your own signature.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Model kits

I tried to be the kid who was too cool and too smart to need a model kit... Then after weeks of struggling I finally got one and suddenly everything made a lot more sense :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
I tried to be the kid who was too cool and too smart to need a model kit... Then after weeks of struggling I finally got one and suddenly everything made a lot more sense :rolleyes:
Everybody tries. But 10 minutes with a model kit > 10 hours of trying to make sense of all those lines, wedges and dashes.
I teach now, and keep one in my office because it's the fastest way to explain.

Reactions: 1 user
Model kits

They come in handy for other things too...

image.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users