Advice on the next step

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kooi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking to get some advice for the next step for my journey through the medical school process.
I'm a 23 male, underrepresented minority that just graduated from a top tier university this last year (May 2013). I currently work in a laboratory as a research assistant.

I majored in Cultural Anthropology, but managed to take all of my pre-medical class pre-reqs, with no upper level science courses. My GPA is the following: cGPA:3.2 sGPA: 2.8

I am currently studying for the MCAT and I'm scheduled to take it May 22, 2014, so I will not have a score until after.

In terms of extra circular activities throughout college I focused on a small list of organized activities; they are the following:

Division 1 athlete
Medical research intern- co authored 2 medical papers published in reputable medical journal.s
English tutor for immigrant adults and children in the inner city.

Understanding all of this I do not plan on applying until the 2015 cycle. At that point I plan on looking at both MD and DO schools. My question is what should be my next step? I'm thinking of enrolling in either a formal post bac program, masters program, or just taking more science class informally (informal post bac). Which would be the best route for me to take/make me a more competitive candidate?

I'm open to suggestions/any sort of advice.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Do well on the MCAT and get your GPA up. Raising the GPA is a must or you can forget about MD schools. Your ECs are pretty thin based on what you listed. Can you tell us more? I know being a D-1 athlete is tough, but it doesn't carry a lot of weight on your app for med school. What were these medical papers about? Clinical research? Did you have a lot of patient contact? What was your involvement?

Special Masters Programs will show you can handle the rigor of med school, but they are expensive.

Last edited:
Waste of time to be taking the MCAT with such a poor sGPA. You need to repair this deficit and get the sGPA >3.2. Suggest a SMP or post-bac program. For DO schools, retake all F/D/C science coursework and let AACOMAS' grade policy do its magic.

What community do you represent?

I majored in Cultural Anthropology, but managed to take all of my pre-medical class pre-reqs, with no upper level science courses. My GPA is the following: cGPA:3.2 sGPA: 2.8

Understanding all of this I do not plan on applying until the 2015 cycle. At that point I plan on looking at both MD and DO schools. My question is what should be my next step? I'm thinking of enrolling in either a formal post bac program, masters program, or just taking more science class informally (informal post bac). Which would be the best route for me to take/make me a more competitive candidate?

0% chance for MD. Not being blunt just being honest so you don't waste time & money.