Advice on what to do for work until MA program starts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobbyMac

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! First time poster on SD.net, glad to see this resource is here.

Here's my situation, and I'd appreciate any advice you can lend me:

I received a BA in Psychology ten years ago, and immediately started working with adolescents in group homes. After three years there, I moved to a bigger city and took a marketing job at an internet startup because it was really hard to pay the rent on a non-profit salary and really I was just ready to try something new. I've since moved to an even bigger city where I quickly found a job selling advertising. I've recently been laid off from my advertising sales position and I have decided that ad sales is not the road I want to be on anyway.

My plan is to start an MA program in Psychology in the Fall of 09. I am researching programs using the Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology and I've started studying for the GRE exam.

My main issue right now is: I need to pay rent and bills. I'm able to collect unemployment, which helps a little, but I can't see sitting around the house all day every day even if I'm filling my time studying for the GRE's and researching grad schools. I want a full time job, and I am actively searching for work. The problem is, It's been 8 years since I worked in the human services field, and 10 years since I graduated college with a Psych degree. I've spent the past 8 years working in marketing and then sales, and that is where I am most qualified. I feel that this makes me unqualified to do any Psych-related work that would pay decently at all. I regularly search for Research Assistant jobs online as well as any job posting that uses the terms Psychology, Psychological, Psych, Research, and Lab, and I have applied for any Research Assistant positions that I find online, but I never hear back because I'm sure no one sees a salesman as the ideal choice for research assistant.

So that's my issue now, I want a job but I don't want it to be in sales even though that's what I'm most qualified for. I am open to market research positions and have applied for those, and even interviewed for one, but did not get the position as other candidates were more qualified with market research. Of course my dream would be to be paid for going to school and studying, but I need to do a lot of research on that subject, and school doesn't start for another year.

Sorry for the long post, but it felt good to get all this out. I'd appreciate any advice you could offer!

Members don't see this ad.