Advice on what to do please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhrosado31

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT on Jan. 23, 2015 for the first time. I just received my score, a 20. Verbal truly killed me.

I don't know if I should even try applying for this cycle since my score wasn't good and my cumulative GPA on my transcript is: 3.28. My science GPA is 3.16, around there if I calculated it right. After my graduation, I've been shadowing a gynecologist whenever she doesn't have a student, at least once every two weeks.

I'm 24 years old and I have no idea how to study for the new MCAT if I'm advised to study for it?
I really don't know where to go from here. Does anybody have any suggestions on what path to take? I really, really want to go to medical school.

EDIT: Thanks to Mavric's amazing GPA calculator, here's what the program averaged out my grades to be with grade replacement.

mygpa.png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your grades and scores suggest medical school is not for you. But if you really, really want to go, retake your low science scores, retake the MCAT to get at least a 25 or so and apply to DO school when you get your numbers up. They do grade replacement instead of averaging so you might have a chance there if you improve your grades on the retake. You're already disqualified due to the numbers alone. If you fix it, you have a chance. Keep in mind, getting into medical school isn't the hard part.

Your grades and scores suggest medical school is not for you. But if you really, really want to go, retake your low science scores, retake the MCAT to get at least a 25 or so and apply to DO school when you get your numbers up. They do grade replacement instead of averaging so you might have a chance there if you improve your grades on the retake. You're already disqualified due to the numbers alone. If you fix it, you have a chance. Keep in mind, getting into medical school isn't the hard part.

I didn't do too well my first freshman semester in college. I earned a D in both general chemistry and calculus 1, but I retook those classes the next semester and earned an A and A-, respectively. After that year, all my science courses have been A's and B's with the exception of Biochemistry that I earned a C in.

So when you say retake my low science scores, the thing is I already retook it the following semester as stated above. Do I still retake all my classes anyway?

DO school is not an issue for me, I would love to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't waste your money applying with that MCAT and GPA. If you have all As and Bs, I would download one of the GPA calculators and make sure you have an accurate picture of the GPA. When you calculated it, did you actually remove the D's or just add in your new grades.
I went by the cGPA posted by my undergrad transcript which said 3.28.
I didn't remove the D when I calculated my science GPA since it's part of my transcript. Was I supposed to?

Okay, I will do that now. Please give me a moment while I figure this out.

I have posted a fairly comprehensive calculator, plug your numbers in there and get back to us.

I would retake it though, and figure how a different way to study, since this didn't work. Also know that since each test is so different, it's also a crapshoot to some extent if the test you get plays into your strengths or not. My 2nd to last practice score was a 22. My last practice was a 34. My average of 8 tests was a 29. I got a 30. Sometimes you just get a test that doesn't match with you or you just have an off day.

I have posted a fairly comprehensive calculator, plug your numbers in there and get back to us.

I would retake it though, and figure how a different way to study, since this didn't work. Also know that since each test is so different, it's also a crapshoot to some extent if the test you get plays into your strengths or not. My 2nd to last practice score was a 22. My last practice was a 34. My average of 8 tests was a 29. I got a 30. Sometimes you just get a test that doesn't match with you or you just have an off day.

Thank you for all your help, Mavric!! That is very true, it's something I also realized while taking practice exams. Also, belated congratulations on your lovely score!

Search grade replacement for DO, recalculate if the classes qualify. I imagine it will make a big difference

Thanks to Mavric's amazing GPA calculator, here's what the program averaged out my grades to be with grade replacement.

mygpa.png

Look at that! Excellent. Now retake the MCAT and apply DO.
Thank you so much for your advice!

I was wondering, I'm not sure if you know about it though, but I was told by a mother's friend that you could do a program and if you end up doing really well in that program, you'd enter into their medical school right afterwards? Is there such a program?

Do you have test taking anxiety issues? If so, get them fixed.

I suggest an MCAT prep course. And lots of practice exams.

Do NOT retake the MCAT until you are fully ready.
Yes! I only wish the new MCAT had lots of practice exams like the old one. :(