Advice on which learning paths (goal of LCSW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NLS8520

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been doing a lot of lurking on this site and of course researching, however I am sort of swamped into the amount of info regarding schools, majors and learning paths. I am an adult student and decided a change of life was in order. I am close to finishing an AA degree at a community college. I have an end goal of getting into the social work field, in particular becoming a therapist and obtaining a MSW in clinical concentration, with the goal of becoming a LCSW.

Generally speaking do grad schools require a BSW when entering a MSW program? What are some acceptable bachelors programs to peruse if my goal is to continue to MSW program? Psychology, Sociology?,Liberal Studies with a concentration on Social Sciences?. I intend to complete the programs fully online, if that affects the advice. Thanks in advance for any help, I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings:)

You do not have to get a BSW to get accepted into an MSW program. My undergrad is in Psychology. However, if you do get the BSW, you can get into an “advanced standing” track and spend significantly less hours earning your MSW. This has both pros and cons depending on the school you go to, and the state you plan to get licensed in.

My cohort consisted of a variety of undergrad degrees. There were prerequisites though, 2 semesters of research being one of the ones I can remember.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My two cents: Major in something not too related to social work (e.g., psychology, social sciences). It'll make you more versatile in the long run. Some of the most successful LCSWs I know majored in business or other fields.

My two cents: Major in something not too related to social work (e.g., psychology, social sciences). It'll make you more versatile in the long run. Some of the most successful LCSWs I know majored in business or other fields.

There is some advantage to getting a BSW because of the advanced standing some MSW programs offer. Be sure to check the MSW programs you're interested in to ensure they do have the advanced standing option. If they do, then you can usually get a semester or a semester and change waived from your MSW coursework. Blizzard1 is correct too in saying that some business coursework would be helpful. Whether you plan to own your own practice or work with an agency, knowing how to market, write proposals, manage budgets, etc. are all great skills that many therapists, regardless of background, tend to lack. If you work in an agency, business skills will give you the option to move into a managerial role. If you get bitten by the macro SW bug, then those skills are important for policy, program evaluation, etc.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users