Advice please! How to prepare for those dreaded calculations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gladiolus23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing that the recent MCATs have been very heavy in calculations esp in the C/P section. I'm a little worried, because this tends to be my weak point and I don't think very fast when it comes to using equations. My test is on June 18th, and I'm wondering how I can prepare for these calculations.

Would you suggest doing the C/P section of the 10 Altius practice tests to prepare? Basically, like mini-section tests?

OR

Doing the TPR SWB passages of both Physics and Chemistry? I'm not sure how helpful or representative the SWB is?

Fyi, I received 88% on Physics Q-pack and around 85% on the Gen. Chem. Q-pack, but I felt those were too easy and the questions I missed were pretty dumb mistakes too.

Members don't see this ad.

Calculations on the MCAT really are not that bad when you consider that the answer choices are spread apart in most instances. Getting better comes with practice. Look at the SDN classified section to get an idea of what is out there and what is working.

TBR is excellent for calculation tricks. You have to learn to estimate and eliminate answers that are whack. I found that I was able to do my calculations part way and then cross out three answers that weren't going to work. The math needed on the MCAT is different from what you did on your midterms and finals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say do tons of practice problems. Treat physics like CARs and do 1-3 passages every day, or 5-15 stand alone questions.

@BerkReviewTeach I have question relevant to your physics review books. Do you think BR physics over prepare you for C/P section? I noticed that you guys include more complicated and in-depth problems compared to EK physics. For instance, translational motion passages on BR emphasize certain equation that was not found in EK (EK highlight every topic/Eqn listed by AAMC in red).
I have no problem going in depth with my materials, but I don't want to waste time on something that will never appear on the real MCAT.

Last edited:
@BerkReviewTeach I have question relevant to your physics review books. Do you think BR physics over prepare you for C/P section? I noticed that you guys include more complicated and in-depth problems compared to EK physics. For instance, translational motion passages on BR emphasize certain equation that was not found in EK (EK highlight every topic/Eqn listed by AAMC in red).
I have no problem going in depth with my materials, but I don't want to waste time on something that will never appear on the real MCAT.

The newest physics books addressed this. There are more passages with a biology component and more passages involving experiments and machines, which replaced some of the psycho-hard passages and passages on material no longer tested. The MCAT difficulty in each section is a range and the BR passages match that range, although there is a larger percentage of the passages at the harder end of the range than the easier end.

As someone once posted here (and I recall exactly who), no one ever complains about being over prepared for the MCAT. There will be plenty of material you cover in any book, ours included, that will not appear on your MCAT. But that doesn't mean it's not found on other MCATs.

There is a math trick to find the -log that we posted on our Instagram account a few weeks ago. I will post the picture to this message so you can see how the trick works. Hope this helps.
11216250_391454267708904_8094377905174844486_n.jpg

Luckily I have found that I can narrow it down to 3 (sometimes 2) answers just using common sense.
Also like @nomoreequationsplease said, sometimes the units will be a dead giveaway and save you precious time working out a problem that you didn't need to do to begin with!

There is a math trick to find the -log that we posted on our Instagram account a few weeks ago. I will post the picture to this message so you can see how the trick works. Hope this helps.
View attachment 204324
That is freaking awesome. I hate logarithms with a passion... they can fall off of a cliff for all I care :)

Reactions: 1 user