This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plath95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello- I am new to SDN and this is my first post, I would love any recommendations for my situation.

I graduated undergrad with a veryyy low GPA, overall 3.0 and sGPA around 2.7 due to some bad things that happened to me, and depression as a result. I definitely showed an upward trend was i was able to overcome these issues, and was getting 3.5 and over the last 1.5 yrs. I recently took my DAT and was able to get a 23 AA, and 24 PAT.

My ECs are very good, I have research, lead my own dental club, have countless shadowing hours and 4 dental mission trips which I organized and fundraised for myself. HOWEVER, i am aware that nothing really makes up for a bad GPA.

It's my dream to be a dentist and i don't want to give up on it. Does anyone have any recommendations about if and where i should apply next cycle? If you don't think I can get in to dental school, are there any recommended post-baccs or masters? Anyway, I would so much appreciate any help from people who have maybe had more experience than me. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I think you have an excellent chance of getting into dental school as long as you have all of your pre-recs. Be aware that some schools have strict GPA cutoffs, so avoid applying to those schools. However, your DAT is very good!! Focus on writing a good personal statement and you will definitely get some interviews next round. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a really unique story! If you can swing all the hardships you've endured into learning experiences, and interview well, I think it is possible for you to get in. You'll have to apply very broadly, you'll never know which school will be the one. You only need one. Like stated above, avoid schools with cutoffs and good luck! I hope it works out for you!!

I think you have a good chance! Use your hardships to show your growth. You got this! :)

definitely apply to an SMP, and do well in it. Even with an excellent DAT score, you would still be considered a risky applicant in the eyes of dental adcoms. You need to demonstrate to them that you're capable of excelling in a rigorous Masters program that emulates 1st year med/dental curriculum. Currently with your GPA, you would most likely get overlooked by dental schools.

I agree, do you have any specific program recommendations? I'm having a hard time deciding which one would be best

I think you have an excellent chance of getting into dental school as long as you have all of your pre-recs. Be aware that some schools have strict GPA cutoffs, so avoid applying to those schools. However, your DAT is very good!! Focus on writing a good personal statement and you will definitely get some interviews next round. Good luck!
2014 Range of GPA/DAT; "Cut off"scores.