Advice please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Isis33

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm applying to med school right now and just got my acceptance. I graduated from undergrad in December and have the time off till med school. I am interested in derm possibly, and was wondering what you guys would suggest to do right now when I have this time off to strenghten my application? Should I start research in a derm lab, or will people think that that experience is too old by the time I'm applying for residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend relaxing. I'm not sure there's too much you can do before the start of med school to give you a head start among other derm applicants.

Another thing to consider is keeping an open mind. It's nice to have an idea of what you would like to do but to already be so certain before the start of med school might not be a good idea.

And lastly, once you do get into med school, then the drill is simple. Great grades, great board scores, great recommendation letters, great research, and great initiative towards the field of your choice will help you secure that elusive residency!