advice re: PTA school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinganca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my first semester of OT school, and I'm really feeling like I made a mistake. This isn't the field for me. I originally wanted to go for PTA, but I talked myself out of it bc I was worried about the salary being too low to live on comfortably, and bc I was worried about the future of the PTA profession once this round of medicare cuts and healthcare reforms come roaring through.

So basically I guess you could say I chose OT for the money, when my heart and interest is really in the PT field. Unlike some others though, I have no desire for autonomy. Sounds funny, but it's true. I have absolutely no problem taking orders from a PT and/or not being in charge; I have no burning desire to design my own treatment plans and am happy to carry out the plans that the PTs come up with. I don't plan on going back for the DPT and assuming the salary does provide a decent living, I am content to work as a PTA until I retire.

The problem is, I already have about $30k in student loans from my bachelors degree. Either of the PTA programs in my area will run me another $20k. So basically my total loans will be equal to a year's (gross) salary as a PTA. :eek:

Anyone here who has gone the PTA route at any time, if you don't mind my asking, what was the financial situation like? Did you go back for the DPT because you wanted that autonomy and further training, or because you were finding it difficult to live on your wages as a PTA? Did you have loan debt heading into PTA school, and how manageable was it to pay it back?

Also, my other fear is still the "what if?" factor re: medicare and healthcare reform. Basically I'm afraid of getting through the program, racking up debt, and then finding my new profession obliterated by Medicare making cuts or refusing reimbursement for PTA services. Any opinions about that would be appreciated, as sometimes it helps to have another perspective.

I know I would be much more fulfilled as a PTA than an OT, and if I had no debt I would go back for PTA, no question. But as it is, I do have debt and quite a lot of it. And I'm just worried about the pay and the future of the PTA role. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
while i have not been in your exact situation, i feel i have some knowledge on some of the points your brought up. first of all, are you REALLY sure you don't want to be an OT or are you getting cold feet? i only ask b/c i was accepted to PT school and started to freak out and think it wasn't for me (long story short i came to my senses and couldn't be happier :)).

i went back and fourth all through undergrad between PT and OT so i understand how it feels to be confused between the two. while i respect and admire OTs, my heart lies with the PT field and it seems yours does too.

as far as PTA demand goes, i will tell you what i see. i currently work as a Rehab Tech and we have TONS of PTAs. In fact with the way everything is going, i would think PTAs would become more valuable than less (granted i am not the most knowledgeable on the subject so hopefully someone else can share their opinion).

i read on here a long time ago that a good rule of thumb is to not have more debt than you plan to make your first year working. you stated your debt would be exactly that. sure, you will have to make sacrifices, put some things on hold, and work your butt off your first 1-2 years outa school but if you love Rehab, you won't mind. i currently work with a therapist who has ~$70,000 in debt:eek:. very scary, but this person works monday-saturday and puts most of their money into paying off the loans-very difficult but it happens.

unfortunately our field is not compensated correctly for the amount of money we have to put into becoming a part of it but you will make it work. plus, i know a lot of PTA students and they seem to be able to work a lot more compared to OT/PT students so you should try to work while in school to save $$.

sorry to ramble-i will probably be close to 70,000 in debt when i graduate and it gives me ulcers thinking about it. but, i LOVE PT so I will make it work. take some time to think about what YOU want. but don't wait too long or you'll be in even more debt with being in a master's program! good luck!