Advice regarding club leadership position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been in an active leadership position in a club at my university since my freshman year. As a junior this past year I served as President. However, the club over this year has become pretty toxic and I no longer enjoy being a part of it since the other members are constantly stabbing each other in the back, not showing up to our weekly club meetings and events, and generally leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth (including sexist and distasteful remarks). In essence, I can't imagine putting the amount of time and effort a university organization takes with this group of people. How bad would it look if I no longer held a leadership position for this organization in my final year? I'd rather put that time into the non-profit I volunteer at, into research, or into clinical volunteering.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
But don't adcoms stress that they want to see "leadership"?

There are plenty of other ways to get leadership experience that don't involve having an arbitrary title in a school club. Many clubs these days are creating more and more fluff positions just so their members can list it in their resume. I'm sure adcoms are also aware of this by now.

Reactions: 1 user