This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RogueBanana

ヽ(´ー`)ノ
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious about a situation regarding a friend of mine:

My pre-med friend is living with a housemate this semester who insists on streaming popular movies and shows on a......questionable... website.

If the ISP agreement is in the housemate's name (IE the housemate pays for the internet/phone/tv while my friend pays the gas bill) is it possible that any repercussions from the housemate's internet activities would negatively effect my friend?

Say the roommate was busted for piracy or something (which schools and local law enforcement have been increasingly strict upon) would they go after only the person who is listed on the ISP as owner, or the entire house?

Members don't see this ad.

1. It falls on the shoulders of whoever was responsible for misuse of the content.
2. Streaming is not encompassed by the laws you're concerned about. Only downloading or showing the content as a "public display" is.

Tl;dr no you will not get in trouble.

If he's worried he could tell his friend to use a VPN. Either way, I don't think it's a concern.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know, but I do know that the Internet company is likely to send warning emails if they notice. My house in college received several. We would be like, "Who downloaded Friends season 2 at 3:32am last Friday?! We've already discussed this! Go do that on campus." LOL.

I dont know, but I do know that the Internet company is likely to send warning emails if they notice. My house in college received several. We would be like, "Who downloaded Friends season 2 at 3:32am last Friday?! We've already discussed this! Go do that on campus." LOL.
Streaming is not subject to the same regulations as downloading. If the issue is streaming only, then there are no legal concerns currently.

My friend was streaming movies and they reduced his internet speed. I would suggest using a VPN. You can easily do this.