Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ntte

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am asked to leave the MS course ( 3 mths after starting) because I handed in an assignment that resembled another students one.

When I was asked to give full explanation I did not give any specific details and said I could write up another essay( 3 essays were there to choose) but 1 week later I found out that I have got an F and they are trying to make me leave.

Is this a big offense ? Does this affect my future career. I am not much worried about the MS anyway..

Members don't see this ad.

Well, first question: did you really plagiarize another student? If not, you should be raising hell right about now, because being dismissed from any academic program, whether you cared about it or not, will definitely have a negative effect on your ability to attend med school (which I assume you want to do, since you posted this in pre-allo). Especially if the dismissal was for academic dishonesty. I have no personal experience with this, but I imagine it would be very, very hard to recover from. So if you didn't do it, you need to fight and fight hard to clear your name (and record).

If you did do it, I'll skip the preaching--you should know it was wrong, and I hope if you're planning to become a doc you're mature enough to admit a mistake and realize how unethical (and dumb) this was. If you're guilty and they have the proof, there's not much you can do--appeal to the dean? I guess if you can cast enough doubt, you may be able to get readmitted or at least not have that particular reason be put in your file as the reason for your dismissal--maybe you can reach some kind of agreement with the school and just withdraw. But like I said earlier, if you're not guilty--as you imply in your post, although you leave it kind of vague--then they shouldn't have much to go on, and you should definitely fight to protect your reputation. Academic dishonesty is a big offense and could keep you out of medical school in the future if you don't clear this up now.

Get the hell out of there you don't want to mess around with that. I hope that you didn't plagarize. If you did never do it again. If you didn't I suppose you could martyr yourself but I wouldn't advise it. It would be cool if they allowed you to look at both so you could see for yourself if you have a good case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ntte said:
Is this a big offense ? Does this affect my future career. I am not much worried about the MS anyway..

Plagerism is a big offense in academic world. You never want to be associated with it as it can follow you to next career.

Ntte said:

You'd be better off with a misdemeanor on your record than a cheating/plagarizing offense, as it is extremely serious in the academic world. It's time for damage control. Do what you can to get out of trouble, and then never plagarize again.

you may want to retain an attorney for this one. seriously.

ok, I found the same assignment on a common computer( computer lab) and copied it with some changes.

How will it affect my career, do they ever ask for being dismissed from schools ?

I could still get admitted into another school. I now know how serious it is, so will not do ever in my future.

Ntte said:
ok, I found the same assignment on a common computer( computer lab) and copied it with some changes.

How will it affect my career, do they ever ask for being dismissed from schools ?

I could still get admitted into another school. I now know how serious it is, so will not do ever in my future.

That is plagarism - even if you changed it a bit. If you are found guilty of violating your school's code of ethics/student conduct and/or asked to leave the program because of this it will have a major impact on your ability to get into med school (or any other school). Most grad/professional schools ask you if you have ever been found guility of such academic violations.

Ntte said:

ouch buddy that is really serious. i won't preach either b/c hopefully you know how stupid that was. You will have a tough road ahead. You should talk to the prof and dean, apologize profusely (no excuses!), admit you made a serious error in judgement and learned a really serious lesson, beg if you have to, take an F but beg not to be dismissed. Most applications ask if you have ever been dismissed and for explanations as to why. They will not look too kindly on this one. Good luck, you will need it.

This happened to a friend of mine, except he admitted to it right away. Since he explained he did due to the pressure of trying to get into med school, they understood and cut him some slack. Basically, he re-wrote the paper with the stipulation that the highest grade they would give him was a D. He got an F on the paper, but his grade averaged out to a C. I guess it is better than having plaguerism on your record.

GOBUCKY!

GOBUCKY! said:
This happened to a friend of mine, except he admitted to it right away. Since he explained he did due to the pressure of trying to get into med school, they understood and cut him some slack. Basically, he re-wrote the paper with the stipulation that the highest grade they would give him was a D. He got an F on the paper, but his grade averaged out to a C. I guess it is better than having plaguerism on your record.

GOBUCKY!

he definitely lucked out and considering the nature of the crime and the potential ramifications, I think they were EXTREMELY generous and kind to him!

and.. I have completed my medical school and waiting for the residency to start in July 2005. I know I look even more stupid now, but I feel so uncomfortable going there and trying to give an explanation.

Ntte said:
and.. I have completed my medical school and waiting for the residency to start in July 2005. I know I look even more stupid now, but I feel so uncomfortable going there and trying to give an explanation.

you committed a crime...you must admit what you did and suffer the consequences....

trying to lie about it will only make things worse....

I agree. Good luck anyway.