advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctalaughs

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like some advice about applying to more than one type of specialty. I would like to match in rad onc but my #1 priority is to stay local (for family reasons). Given there is only 1 rad onc program in my area, is it possible to apply to my second choice (diag radiology), or even second and third choices, without hurting my chances in all of them? I think my chances are good at our program (publications, top boards/grades, some connections) but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

sorry, i got no answers, but was thinking of posting the same question. hope someone knows.

you have your priorities straight, but unfortunately they do not correllate with your professional goals.

a lot of hospitals have a centralized service of collecting applications and so if you apply to 2 diff programs at the same hospital, they would know and that doest look very good. also, i have heard of surgical subspecialty fields calling other surgical subspecialty fields in their hospital to see if the same person applied to both ent and plastic surgery. basically, you dont want to get caught cuz then you look stupid.

if you can apply to only 1 radonc program in your area, dont even bother cuz chances/odds are you wont get it! (sorry for the blunt remark, but someone has to tell you...)

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a friend who did exactly that: he applied to all the local rad onc programs, the local radiology programs and the local nuclear med programs (his #3 choice of specialty -- he freaked out when he realized that diag rads is a difficult "back up"). he ended up matching in rad onc, but it helped him sleep better. the application fees were high, but he saved on traveling money since everything was driving distance.

stephew, I'd like your opinion on this matter since you probably are in a position to help review the incoming apps.

Your plan isn't uncommon. Member Radonc brings up an interesting issue: would you get "dinged" if two programs noted you were applying in the same place for different fields.

To be honest, while not impossible, I really wouldn't let that stop me from doing it. Im not convinced first of all that radiology will be talking to rad onc very much (they're really not related fields). But even so, to be honest, I think if you said upfront that being near family is important to you if asked, then really, that's good enough for many people.

I can't promise you radonc's concerns wounldnt be those of the programs you apply to if they even find out to begin with that youre applying to separate fields. But you know, its done. Perhaps any other's can chime in on this?

Since rad onc is your first choice, I would pick maybe 5-6 programs and not apply to other programs at that hospital. Pick 1-2 really strong programs and 4-5 mid tier programs and apply only to rad onc. Then apply to the rest and go for it.

If anyone brings it up, what I would do is just say honestly that you love rad onc, but you recognize how difficult it is to match, and that it has gotten extremely competitive. While perhaps radiology isn't your first love, you would prefer (maybe loans are an issue?) not wanting the uncertainty of not having a job. there are elements in radiology that you love, such as technical aspects, technology, physics, thinking in permutations, imaging, that are present in both fields.

The trouble is if no one brings it up but there is talking behind the scenes. Well, there is nothing you can do about that... however, be comforted that it will only be a percentage of those hospitals. I have a friend who applied to both rads and medicine at ALL hospitals, and he got his first choice. No one brought it up.

Heck, you could probably just say you're coming for the transitional interview if anyone from rad onc stops you and asks.

I personally have a different view of the world and medicine, and I happen to think they are more related than people would think. It's true rad onc is patient centered and radiology is not (although there is interventional and some procedures like thoracentesis in diagnostic), but I guess I just have a different way of thinking about things.

great advice by tinwindow....second all of that....