AEGD or Perio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentarista

Reaction score
  • At first I wanted to do an AEGD so that I could maximize my skills as a GP (namely upping my speed, getting good at treatment planning, & placing straightforward implants. So that I could eventually open my own practice.
  • Then I decided I should try & specialize since I’m young (earl 20s) & want a higher income.
  • So I settled on perio, because I’m a D3 currently around 60th in my class of 100 (GPA ~3.5) & it suits my personality of a shyer & slower-paced individual. However, I’m starting to doubt that decision now.
  • Cons I’ve heard about perio in the real world.
    • not a lot of referrals to periodontists
    • GPs are placing all the simple implant nowadays
    • Can be annoying placing implants because GPs sometimes lack the perio background needed to place a restoratively driven implant.
  • Last point, I have started to realize that perio requires lots of academic work (lit review, research) & it’s 3 extra years.
  • Does anyone have any words of wisdom one way or the other?

Members don't see this ad.

You can argue just about any specialty(aligners for ortho, gp doing 3rds, ext and implant instead of endo).

Based on your post it seems like you are unsure about what you want to do and not ready to commit. Why not do the AEGD and you may even find out you like doing general dentistry or other specialty.

One year is not that long..

Reactions: 1 users
  • Cons I’ve heard about perio in the real world.
    • not a lot of referrals to periodontists

True. Forget about specializing if you are not willing to go around knocking on every general dental office's door to promote your perio practice. What's the point of specializing if you don't have patients to work on?

Reactions: 1 users