affordable replacement dental headlamp/headlight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghostman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not a dental student, so it's likely I have no clue what I'm talking about.

My dental student friend has a Designs for Vision headlight. The battery died and it now costs about $125 to replace in her school. It seemed excessive for a battery, but I notice similar battery prices for other brands when I did a quick search.

Is there anything that's more affordable with a more reasonably-priced (ideally, less proprietary) battery? Even if my friend has to buy a new light and ebay her old one.

Since I'm not in the dental field, it sounds bizarre to me. Why does a light/battery cost so much?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you can ebay something similar for A LOT less. I have played with $75 handpiece from China that is quieter and outperforms the $750 Midwest. I bought intraoral camera there that costs $75 instead of $2000...works great. I bought dental management software there for $69 bucks that is just as good as the $3000 one your dental dealer will sell you. When I built my dental office, a simple sink cabinet cost me +$1000; I cancelled the rest and custom built the exact same ones for $300. Such is the ripoff nature of the dental supply business.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So I had the same issue. I bought a Surgitel headlight for nearly a grand and it broke in less than a year! It took forever for them to fix it and get it back to me, and I was without a light the whole time. I continued having problems with the light so I decided to buy a new one. Rather than spend almost $1000 for a new light, I found something cheaper that I LOVE. It was from a brand I haven't heard of so I was a bit hesitant, but they give a 30-day money back guarantee and it cost half the price of the Surgitel light so I gave it a shot. It's from a company called La Lens.
Like you said, it seems all of the replacement batteries are pricey ($100- $200). Even the one from La Lens is $150, so I think the best option is to buy a cheaper light. The one from La Lens is tiny and hasn't died on me yet. And when my flip-filter broke, they sent one to me for free.
Hope that helps!