African Americans and Osteopathic (D.O.) medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if there are any AA's who attended D.O. school here and what are your experiences were? Im worried that as a young black man going into medicine I will always have to prove myself. And having a D.O. degree I will really have to prove myself. I have had 3 MD interviews since 2011, all resulted in waitlist or rejections. I have a 27 MCAT, and 3.25 cum and sci & gpa and though I would at least have a chance at HBCUs and low ranking state schools. I have one more interview but it will be in March at an HBCU, interviewing this late will probably result in another waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Whether you go MD or DO, there will probably always be "the black tax". From my experiences and talking to MDs, the only bias against DOs seems to be from uninformed pre-meds and older generations of physicians. Have you asked the adcoms for interview feedback or tried mock interviews? The fact that you've gotten interviews means they felt something about your application fit well with the school. A little feedback may go a long way.

I'm just wondering if there are any AA's who attended D.O. school here and what are your experiences were? Im worried that as a young black man going into medicine I will always have to prove myself. And having a D.O. degree I will really have to prove myself. I have had 3 MD interviews since 2011, all resulted in waitlist or rejections. I have a 27 MCAT, and 3.25 cum and sci & gpa and though I would at least have a chance at HBCUs and low ranking state schools. I have one more interview but it will be in March at an HBCU, interviewing this late will probably result in another waitlist.

I go to a relatively new DO school in rural Tennessee and will be graduating this May. Since my school is so new, we don't have our own hospital. I have, as such, been doing all my rotations elsewhere in the state, mainly at The University of Tennessee, which is the state's flagship medical school (and, therefore, allopathic). Since starting clinicals 2 years ago, I have not had a single problem with anyone due to my race (i.e., black) or medical background (i.e., osteopathic). Everyday, I show up and do my job to the best of my ability and leave, just like the MD students. I haven't had to go the extra mile to prove myself or jump through any particular hoops. The DO bias, as you said, is mainly a pre-medical and older generation bias (and some nurses I have come to find out). If you want to be a doctor and are not getting a lot of love in the MD world, then apply DO. You will have the option to do ACGME (allopathic) residency four years later. Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've seen, minority numbers in DO schools are far worse than our showing in MD schools.. Don't know why that is.. but, I toured TouroCOM in NY and actually saw a crapton of diversity. And not just East Asians, there were a lot of black people there :biglove:.. Significantly more than I had seen in any of the other NY MD schools I toured. But like the others have said.. you'll always be an anomaly in this field. Tis the way it is..

Though you should post your stats and the fact that you've had a bad app cycle in the pre-allo boards. Everyone there seems to think that all people of color need to do is breathe and they get into Harvard. By their standards, you should be sitting pretty on a full-ride scholarship PLUS a living expense stipend at one of the top 5s right now :bang::bullcrap:

Depending what school you go to you'll have less diversity in the class. DO schools have abysmal numbers when it comes to AA. That being said I wouldn't worry about it too much, and be confident in your abilities and your deservingness to be in med school.

Despite the representation and doucheyness you see on SDN, healthcare professionals are generally a nice bunch and very *professional* in that it's rare to find situations where someone is putting someone else down.

I'm also going to a DO program, and I chose it over MD for geographical and financial reasons. I realize that while some people may come off naive when it comes to race and diversity/culture issues they are generally well intentioned and it's best to be patient and forthcoming in interactions with fellow students.

You'll make friends fast and race will become virtually a non issue, and if it does you will have the support and confidence to deal with it professionally and with dignity. Good luck.

I have too heard that in general, physicians are more "liberal" minded.. doesn't mean they don't still have their issues due to how deep and serious institutionalized racism is in this country (see stats on how patients of color are treated differently/more harsh in medical settings than white folks).. but as colleagues, they most likely won't be anywhere near as douchey as the people in the preallo section..

I think medicine is somehow segregated like everything else in this country. As an AA, you most likely will be treated with respect by your colleagues. But it might be a different story when it comes to your patients. I have been working in healthcare for a few years and I have seen Caucasian and sometimes Hispanic patients use some bogus excuses to dump their AA physicians. On the other, I have not seen AA patients dumped their Caucasian or Hispanic physicians using bogus reasons.

I think medicine is somehow segregated like everything else in this country. As an AA, you most likely will be treated with respect by your colleagues. But it might be a different story when it comes to your patients. I have been working in healthcare for a few years and I have seen Caucasian and sometimes Hispanic patients use some bogus excuses to dump their AA physicians. On the other, I have not seen AA patients dumped their Caucasian or Hispanic physicians using bogus reasons.

That's really depressing.

That is sad, but it is interesting. That topic could definitely be a thread of its own. I wonder how many AA physicians encounter this.

I feel that DOs are well respected these days. I have a couple of friends in DO school now. From what I've heard, it sounds like the only thing you will have to do is educate your patients and friends.

That is sad, but it is interesting. That topic could definitely be a thread of its own. I wonder how many AA physicians encounter this.

It makes you wonder if this has something to do with why black physicians are the most depressed/suicidal (according to one study).

You will happier in life if you don't worry about proving yourself to people (whether because you think they will dislike your degree or your skin color)....just show up and get your grades, then show up and get your work done, and be nice to people. Being responsible and nice will place you so far above the curve of the average person that even racist DO haters will eventually warm up. ;)

Apply DO and get started on being a doctor. (I have a slightly lower gpa, higher mcat and one MD interview with a waitlist......8 DO interviews and accepted at my first one so I shut the others down) If I held a DO prejudice, I wouldn't be on my way to being a doctor this Aug.

Maybe consider giving the DO schools the same fair chance you want people to give you...

Reactions: 7 users
It makes you wonder if this has something to do with why black physicians are the most depressed/suicidal (according to one study).

what study? Do you have a link?