After interviews, asking if you are still under consideration?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmNerd08

Residency Seeker
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering after having interviews, is it okay to ask the programs you interviewed with if you are still under consideration, just to know who to rank and who you should not. Is that a violation of the match rules?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering after having interviews, is it okay to ask the programs you interviewed with if you are still under consideration, just to know who to rank and who you should not. Is that a violation of the match rules?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, that is a violation of match rules. And I would think that wouldn't help your chances with a program.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Don't try to guess how you think the programs liked you when you you fill out your rankings. Just rank how you liked the programs (and if there are any you absolutely don't like, don't list). The way the match is set up, you will receive the highest choice possible based on your list.

Members don't see this ad :)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Do NOT do that. A previous poster said it correctly- you would be disqualified if the program turned you in (slight chance, but don't risk it)! You should be able to tell how to rank the programs based on how well your interview went. If you don't have at least a slightly better perception of one program over another, then you are most likely in trouble all the way around due to the competitiveness on all programs this year. Good luck. Down to 20 days.

Don't try to guess how you think the programs liked you when you you fill out your rankings. Just rank how you liked the programs (and if there are any you absolutely don't like, don't list). The way the match is set up, you will receive the highest choice possible based on your list.

Great advice, i was doing this as well. I'm just worried that i may not even get matched at all if i dont put a place sounds like they like me as #1

You shouldn't do that...just rank them as you really wish....
But after interviews, you should get subtle hints as to whether you are in consideration(gonna get ranked)....like the program sending you a thank you letter/note or giving you their program code, or the program asks for your match number again after interviews although you already have it on your application documents, repeatedly offering you answers to any questions you may have......stuff like that... ;)

But after interviews, you should get subtle hints as to whether you are in consideration(gonna get ranked)....like the program sending you a thank you letter/note or giving you their program code, or the program asks for your match number again after interviews although you already have it on your application documents, repeatedly offering you answers to any questions you may have......stuff like that... ;)

Any advice on what to say to the programs to remind them that you're interested? ;)

Any advice on what to say to the programs to remind them that you're interested? ;)

I don't think that anything sent would get a second look. They all know you're interested, otherwise you wouldn't have applied and interviewed. Emailing or calling after interviews looks desperate, IMO, and could be misconstrued as a violation of match rules.

Some programs do that for everyone. I got an email thanking me etc for my interest last year, and I did not match at the program. (I know I could have been next on the list, but it doesn't matter- it doesn't mean you're going to match there). I even had one PGY2 director tell me that they are encouraged to email EVERYONE their match number after, even if they don't plan on ranking the person.

I don't think that anything sent would get a second look. They all know you're interested, otherwise you wouldn't have applied and interviewed. Emailing or calling after interviews looks desperate, IMO, and could be misconstrued as a violation of match rules.

I did email one program, but only because they said they'd let us know by last Friday (unaccredited, not in the match) I waited until after close of business on Monday. Just heard back from them today. Not good news. It was more or less a 'you said you'd contact me, I was wondering if I could get an update.' kind of an email (not verbatim, but that was the gist.)

Guys,

I have just seen this on the match website:
"The only information that persons at the residency site may communicate to an applicant prior to the release of the Match results is whether or not the applicant remains under consideration for admission. The spirit of this item precludes any communication of applicants’ rankings, however veiled or indirect such communication might be, prior to the release of the Match results."

This is the link: http://www.natmatch.com/ashprmp/index.htm it's in the match rules section.

What do you think??

Guys,

"The only information that persons at the residency site may communicate to an applicant prior to the release of the Match results is whether or not the applicant remains under consideration for admission. The spirit of this item precludes any communication of applicants' rankings, however veiled or indirect such communication might be, prior to the release of the Match results."

This is the link: http://www.natmatch.com/ashprmp/index.htm it's in the match rules section.

What do you think??
That sounds about right I think. I know of someone who got accepted into a fellowship that still preferred a residency in the match, and was advised to contact the residency to see if they were still in consideration (and not end up somewhere they didn't like). Though that rule seems more designed for that type of situation than the general "how am I going to rank my programs" dilemma.

Guys,

"The only information that persons at the residency site may communicate to an applicant prior to the release of the Match results is whether or not the applicant remains under consideration for admission. The spirit of this item precludes any communication of applicants’ rankings, however veiled or indirect such communication might be, prior to the release of the Match results."

What do you think??

You're desperate and that is not a good quality since your rankings are due tomorrow and the program has another week to turn theirs in. Rank what you feel is best for you. Not how you think the programs will rank you (unless you know you got destroyed in the interview). I tried helping my wife by analyzing everything and playing the "if" game based on program, interview experience, etc. There is too much out of your control when you interview at 6 programs. So, she picked based on rotations offered, prestige, and how well she will be setup for a PGY2. She did not email any programs back to ask for consideration status. She knows she is under consideration. If you have to ask the program about your status then you have bigger issues and somebody that is more competitive probably beat you out. Stop worrying. You have 13 days, rank your programs, and leave the programs alone- you are being a pest if you bother them. Good luck.

No, both applicants and programs have to turn in their rankings by tomorrow.