after we get our two degrees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adoggie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
right after we receive our MD and PhD degrees, do most of you plan to do a residency and a post-grad fellowship at the same time? or does one come before the other?

Members don't see this ad.

adoggie said:
right after we receive our MD and PhD degrees, do most of you plan to do a residency and a post-grad fellowship at the same time? or does one come before the other?
Well, I've finished work for both degrees and I'll be starting residency this summer. Usually residency and fellowship are sequential events rather being intermixed. For instance, you have short-track residency programs which shorten the clinical residency portion to speed you into a fellowship afterwards. There were these so called "fast-track" programs in the past which involved intermingling research and residency (i.e., you had your own lab while you were doing your clinical duties). But these programs fell out of vogue quite a while ago (as I am told).

Because of the sequential nature of this career track, some of the folks here are discussing the whole utility of doing MD/PhD/residency/postdoc versus MD/residency/postdoc because both paths are very time-consuming.

Phase I: get two doctoral degrees.
Phase III: profit
Like the underpants gnomes, we have a lot to figure out.

Members don't see this ad :)
mjs said:
I find it sad that I can relate to this...

mjs said:

LMAO...I think that South Park can, in some way, apply to absolutely every situation.

It's not sad to me at all. I have a lot of time to figure out what I'm going to do in my postgraduate days. It's better than it sounds IMO. And also, I am really looking forward to switching over to graduate work. Beyond that I have a general sense of direction (phases I and III), which is all I want. My mentors chuckle at the notion of anybody having any idea what they'll do with their life in their first two years of medical school.

this remains a blackbox even for people who get faculty positions. Basically, what happens in that if you get a Cell paper, say, or work for a really famous person, you'll get noticed by some dept chair because there aren't that many people who work in your field and does these things. You get hired automatically. (least that's what I heard.)

If you apply for a job posted on NatureJobs, say, then you are facing like literally 1000 other candidates.

You don't need to do a post-doc after fellowship to get hired as a faculty. The catch though, is that you don't have "tenure" necessarily.

I find this whole idea of doing a fellowship and a residency and THEN a postdoc absloutely ridiculous. that'd be 10 more years after MD PHD!