AGCME sick call rules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeloc

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My program has resident/2 intern teams on wards. The policy is that if an intern calls in sick then the the remaining resident/intern cover all the pts plus admit the usual number of patients. So with the current cap of 10 pts/intern this could be 20 pts for the resident + intern including admissions.

I am wondering are there any AGCME rules on this? It would seem to exceed the cap but is there an exception if someone called in sick?

Members don't see this ad.

My program has resident/2 intern teams on wards. The policy is that if an intern calls in sick then the the remaining resident/intern cover all the pts plus admit the usual number of patients. So with the current cap of 10 pts/intern this could be 20 pts for the resident + intern including admissions.

I am wondering are there any AGCME rules on this? It would seem to exceed the cap but is there an exception if someone called in sick?

Youch. That seems unreasonable. Doesn't your program have jeopardy?

Under no circumstance should and intern be resonsible for more than 10 patients unless you are just taking crosscover. If an intern calls in sick then the senior needs to play resitern that day just like when the intern has a day off. No exceptions!!!