age when you apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceely

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how old were you/will you be when you apply for admission? I am graduating in a couple weeks, and I think I might have to apply for Fall 2011 admission :eek:. I'll be 24 then!

Another thing - I will take the 2009-2010 year to get my prerequisites done. Is it disadvantageous for me to apply for Fall 2010 admissions? Can I start filling out the centralized application on July 15 even though I don't have some of the prerequisites?

Members don't see this ad.

Just out of curiosity, how old were you/will you be when you apply for admission? I am graduating in a couple weeks, and I think I might have to apply for Fall 2011 admission :eek:. I'll be 24 then!

Another thing - I will take the 2009-2010 year to get my prerequisites done. Is it disadvantageous for me to apply for Fall 2010 admissions? Can I start filling out the centralized application on July 15 even though I don't have some of the prerequisites?

age doesnt matter really. the average age is 22-23ish, and there are many people your age or older in optometry school. if you can finish your prerequisites before the class of 2014 begins, then by all means apply for fall 2010. if not, then take your time, do well, and apply for the next class. good luck! :thumbup:

How many more classes do you need to take? I planned to apply my senior year of college, but I didn't see why I should rush into graduate school right after graduating from college.

I am so glad I took some time off. I was able to gain valuable work experience, save up some money, travel, and re-evaluate myself and my goals to see if optometry really was the best fit for me.

Now I'm 24 and I will be going to school in the fall. I will be 28 by the time I graduate but I don't care. I'm glad it worked out this way. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
This actually makes me feel a little better. I'll be 24 if I get into optometry school in 2010, or if that doesn't work out, 25! :S At least it's nice to know there are other older students out there.

I will be starting at SUNY in the fall and I just turned 25 :)

Jagyjen, I think you are going to have a 50-something year old classmate.

I applied really late this cycle for the 2009-2010 school year, but got in right in the nick of time. I'll be 26 in October. From the previous comments, I feel old.

From the optometrists I work with, and from speaking with other optometry applicants, there are many students who have changed careers/have other graduate credentials (i.e. they are a bit older).

Should it matter how long it takes? As long as you are passionate about the field, then it should be worth the time. :love:

I applied really late this cycle for the 2009-2010 school year, but got in right in the nick of time. I'll be 26 in October. From the previous comments, I feel old.

From the optometrists I work with, and from speaking with other optometry applicants, there are many students who have changed careers/have other graduate credentials (i.e. they are a bit older).

Should it matter how long it takes? As long as you are passionate about the field, then it should be worth the time. :love:

Age doesn't matter!! We have quite a few older students (by "older" I mean not 22/23 and right out of college). Y'all have nothing to worry about! :thumbup:

I applied when I was 23 and will be 24 once I start. I would say about 1/3 of the people in my class will be about 24 when they start. About the pre-reqs... It doesn't matter if you don't have them fulfilled when you are applying as long as you have them done before you start. Of course it also depends on your pre-req gpa and how many more you need. If the former is low and/or the latter is a lot, they probably will put you on hold.

I am 25 now and will be 26 when I start optometry school this fall. I have done my share of freaking out about it, but really, in the long run I don't think it will make any difference how old you were when you went to school.

I'm 26 when I entered optom school this Fall. I've worked for a few years before I committed myself in going back to school again. So, I'd be 30 when I graduate! Am I too old? I don't think so. Though it is certainly a huge committment, if optometry is truly your passion, age wouldn't hinder you from anything but a great advantage for you for your patients coz' what they look for is not about how youthful you are, but how experienced and passionate you are in the profession.

Do what you love. Love what you do =)

I just turned 26 and am entering optometry school, I too decided to work first and go through some other obstacles before discovering this is what I TRULY want to do. I honestly wouldn't have it any other way because I look young as it is, so by 30 hopefully people won't think I am the high school intern! haha. But I am definitely a heck of a lot more driven, mentally prepared, and SINGLE (key word! hehe).

I just turned 26 and am entering optometry school, I too decided to work first and go through some other obstacles before discovering this is what I TRULY want to do. I honestly wouldn't have it any other way because I look young as it is, so by 30 hopefully people won't think I am the high school intern! haha. But I am definitely a heck of a lot more driven, mentally prepared, and SINGLE (key word! hehe).

Applied when I was 23, starting school at 24. 24 seems to be the average age for most schools.

so by 30 hopefully people won't think I am the high school intern!

I know!! 3 months before my college graduation, I was helping a patient find new frames... he said "So, do you go to that new high school they just built down the street?" ugh. I've also had people refuse to let me help them because just b/c I look young they think I have no experience. It still sucks right now looking like i'm a teenager but I know I'll appreciate it later. :D

At least people don't confuse you for a MIDDLE SCHOOLER! ;)

Please people...........are you kidding me with this???? Lol...

I am 29 and just started my PRE-REQS!!!

So barring any retakes and total rejection, I will be finishing opt school at 35/36.

Again, puh-leeze!

Hee hee......

P.S. I do have to admit tho, I always get mistaken for being 18. It's finally starting to work in my favor, I guess!

I am applying at 23 and [hopefully] starting at 24. I kinda detoured from the science field and am finishing a master's in library science. Also, I will be finishing two pre-reqs during the year I am applying...if you think about it, all seniors in college who are applying are doing the same thing and admissions people are ok with that!