agh...a quick question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackichen007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am finding myself missing a lot of questions from USMLE World...should I judge myself based on my "progress" and how much I get right, or should I just use it mainly as a tool for my learning?

This is really freaking me out, I'm not doing too great on the questions and I only have 1 week left.

Also, I was going to take another NBME tomorrow to see where I stand right now (the last time I took one was before I started intense boards studying, and did horrible...), or should I just forget it? I'm concerned that I will then proceed to really freak out if I do bad enough. Ugh, more USMLE World for me!?!?!?

AGH. Sorry guys for the really dumb questions, I'm just not feeling good about this at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't panic. UW is very tough. You will definitely do better in the real one. Good luck :)

It seems that we all forget (including myself) that the whole point of getting the question banks is to LEARN from them. Don't freak out about a percentage, make sure you are learning from the questions. Go back to your incorrect questions and see if you are still getting them wrong. If so, pay particular attention to learning from each wrong answer. If you are getting your previously incorrect questions right, then you are doing what you are supposed to do.

As far as the NMBE's go. If you think doing another assessment will freak you out if you get a poor score, don't do it! especially if you are going to keep your date the same regardless. People have different experiences with the NMBE's. Stress and fear all play a role while you're taking the assessment. If you work yourself up over it, most likely you aren't going to do the best you can. So think hard about shelling out more money for something that's going to break your spirits potentially.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am finding myself missing a lot of questions from USMLE World...should I judge myself based on my "progress" and how much I get right, or should I just use it mainly as a tool for my learning?

This is really freaking me out, I'm not doing too great on the questions and I only have 1 week left.

Also, I was going to take another NBME tomorrow to see where I stand right now (the last time I took one was before I started intense boards studying, and did horrible...), or should I just forget it? I'm concerned that I will then proceed to really freak out if I do bad enough. Ugh, more USMLE World for me!?!?!?

AGH. Sorry guys for the really dumb questions, I'm just not feeling good about this at all.

Take the NBME, I think you will be surprised with how much you have improved.

Take the NBME, I think you will be surprised with how much you have improved.

+1

Don't let the UW percentages deter you. UW is very difficult and the questions are not always representative of what will show up on the exam.

The NBME forms vary in difficulty and some test certain disciplines more than others. What form did you take first? Form 1 is not really a good determinant of the exam, but Form 2 seems to be (give or take) what will come up. Forms 4, 5, and 6 will provide you with an idea of how you'll do on a more difficult exam.

Keep your head up and don't lose hope!

I think the answer depends on how much you think you can learn from UW in a week and how far away you are from the score you want. If you are way below where you want to be then it might be a good idea to postpone so you can study more from UW (I did the whole UW bank and it wasn't until I got through 50% of the bank that I noticed my overall % improve noticeably and I got more confident/knowledgeable in the subject matter). Now, I am doing much better on Kaplan Qbank questions compared to how I was doing before I started UW (about 10-15% better per block). If you have the time and are studying the UW explanations well, then you should really give UW more time. Good luck to you.

I think the answer depends on how much you think you can learn from UW in a week and how far away you are from the score you want. If you are way below where you want to be then it might be a good idea to postpone so you can study more from UW (I did the whole UW bank and it wasn't until I got through 50% of the bank that I noticed my overall % improve noticeably and I got more confident/knowledgeable in the subject matter). Now, I am doing much better on Kaplan Qbank questions compared to how I was doing before I started UW (about 10-15% better per block). If you have the time and are studying the UW explanations well, then you should really give UW more time. Good luck to you.

All of this made me feel better, I think I probably haven't gone enough UW to see a difference. (Bad for me but the time to really gun is now)

Thanks everyone for giving me advice, I really appreciate it.

+1

Don't let the UW percentages deter you. UW is very difficult and the questions are not always representative of what will show up on the exam.

The NBME forms vary in difficulty and some test certain disciplines more than others. What form did you take first? Form 1 is not really a good determinant of the exam, but Form 2 seems to be (give or take) what will come up. Forms 4, 5, and 6 will provide you with an idea of how you'll do on a more difficult exam.

Keep your head up and don't lose hope!

I'm not really sure which NBME form I took first. My school administered it as part of our curriculum.

I bought another NBME test from USMLE World (where does everyone buy them?), but I think I'm going to postpone taking it for now, since my confidence levels are pretty low and I think the best thing for me is just to learn from UW.

I'm not really sure which NBME form I took first. My school administered it as part of our curriculum.

I bought another NBME test from USMLE World (where does everyone buy them?), but I think I'm going to postpone taking it for now, since my confidence levels are pretty low and I think the best thing for me is just to learn from UW.

Buy the actual NBME tests from www.nbme.org. They're $45 and I'm pretty sure your school made you take Form 3, I think.